New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Winchester" glass???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody know who’s glass Winchester is putting their name on? I’m considering a Winchester 20-60x80mm spotting scope. Seems like decent glass. I just haven’t been able to pin down where they’re getting it from. Any ideas?

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Made in China.
I got one 15-45x60 bought at Cabelas.
Ok in my dining room watching the ships sail by, but would not drag it to the woods.

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
I remember reading about them once and I think the article said their stuff was being manufactured by Vanguard. I think it might have been in Field and Stream but I'm not sure.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
NimrodRx :forget it, is a chinese piece of shit pissers, put a magnifying glass in front of a pipe and you will see better than with a winchester made in china, try leupold, nikon, B&L or the spencive german and austrian scopes. I was victim of a winchester s. scope, but i really enjoy dancing destroying it mgunwith my 300 w.m. at 100 yads!!!.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys crack me up...

Thanks much.

Found a lightly used one for $80 and was giving it some thought. Figured it would be nice for the range and truck.

I don't have to have European glass. In fact, I'm a big fan of Jap glass. The Elite 4200 has been my go to for the last five years or so. The .338 WM hasn't given the 4200 a spot of trouble.

Chinese glass....... Another story.

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send me the $80 and forego the misery you'll have with owning that piece of crap. Big Grin
Bite the bullet and spend some bucks for a decent spotting scope. I have a Nikon that is just right for packing into the woods, or for carrying in the truck. Mine cost $450, and is worth the $$$$. It's got a 63mm Objective and is not big and imposing to lug around. It has a variable eyepiece that goes from 16-47 power.
Once your scope power goes above 45x, you have problems with resolution, clarity, and they are virtually unuseable. Comes with a small tripod too, and a carrying case.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the old Redfield Spotting Scopes decent? Weren't they made in Japan?