New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spotting Scope Tripod: Recommendations Please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What tripod(s) do you recommend for use with a heavy spotting scope?

Thank you.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check www.bhphotovideo.com www.adorama.com for velbon tripods starting at $45 will hold 12 pounds.I have a spotting scope but I prefer using my tripod with binocs as I can see more and my binocs are lighter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Ray-vin, and it is very sturdy but compact. The universal head is just great.

Try here: Ray-vin.com

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
really depends on where you want to use it. if it is just off a bench or the like a short pod is in order, but it you want to use it standing up then you need a bigger one. I think if you go to a camera store you'll see a bunch of them in different price ranges. a good pod is going to cost some jing however.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I use Bogan and love them, both fluid head and pistol grips.

Posts: 765 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the stand sold by Jim Owens at:

www.jarheadtop.com

It is clever, solid and relatively inexpensive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gold standard of tripods is the Gitzo carbon fiber. But like anything else you pay for it. They are the ultimate.
B&H sells them.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Manfrotto is made for professionals and I'd trust no other.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I'm in the market for a spotting scope and tripod as well.

Y'all need to tell us what is special about your particular recommendation. Not just that you think it's good or better or whatever...

Why is your's better?

What should we look for in a tripod.

How about fluid heads?

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Dang,

I wish I could get some answers to my questions. Confused Roll Eyes Confused

I'm picky as hell about optics and related equipment and would like more info on which tripods are good for what... Confused

I guess I should say what my uses are/will be to simplify things.

I want a tripod that I can use for standing or chair sitting. I'm 5' 11" and am primarily a hunter and target shooter.

I have a Swarovski 20-60 spotter (the small one) and tomorrow I'm getting a pair of Minox 15x58 binocs.

Weight isn't a big issue to me. At least I don't think it is but then I own several ultralight rifles so maybe it is. bewildered

I want to be able to pan right and left and up and down as smoothly as possible and don't want to "upgrade" later. I have always believed in buying the last/best product you'll own first. In the end you save money and don't have to put up with crap along the way....

OH... Also I'd like to start using my video camera in the field... Can I get a tripod that will be useful for a good video camera AND my spotting scope and "big eyes" uses too?

OH... Another thing... I currently have a Davis and Sanford Magnum Tripod and it has a Celestron Slow Motion Controls S93804-A head on it... Is this worth a crap? I, admittedly, never learned how to use it. I immediately lost both manuals the day I bought it and took it to the range... CRYBABY

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
OK... I did some googling and it appears that my Celestron head is a discontinued item that sold for a whopping $35 new so it's obviously crap.

Plus my tripod sells for less than a hundred so it's also cheap stuff although it seems pretty "sturdy"....

I don't mind spending several hundred to get the best and I've been looking around on the Manfrotto website and it looks like these people have their act together.

Still need some help and advice though... Internet websites can often mislead with hype.

$bob$

one of us
posted Hide Post
LD, Do yourself a favor and call GR8fuldoug and order one of the large Gorilla PODs. I bought one for myself and 3 others for Christmas presents, Doug sent them to me for $39.95 delivered.
They are a small tripod that will clamp onto tree limbs etc. for feild use. At just $40 they are a near No-Brainer for a Hunter that wants to use his spotter in the field. They even come with the adaptor for your Swaro.

For bench shooting you want this:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?catego...m=06-3200&type=store

I've recommended this to other shooters and all have said it was fantastic.

You may still want a regular tripod for some uses, but for less money you'll cover a lot of bases in an extremely useful pair of tools buying these two first. I use the bench scope mount every time I'm at the range. A Gorilla pod will be with me on every hunt from now on.........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
DJ,

OK... I just did exactly that... Doug is having a GREAT sale on optics and I just ordered the Minox 15x58 binoculars from him and now have a Gorilla Pod coming for that and my Swaro 20-60 spotter.

For those of you that haven't seem Doug's sale look in the classified ads... Pretty dang good... I got the Minow binocs for a fraction of the best price I'd seen yet and Doug's a great guy.

$bob$

one of us
posted Hide Post
LD, I'm glad to hear you're getting a Gorilla pod. I'd like to hear what you think of it when you get it.
Do you do much bench shooting at the range?...................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
This is a link to the tripod I was discussing with you today. http://www.promaster.com/products/products.asp?CatID=30...ge=PROD&product=2184 It is a very worthwhile tripod for video and for spotters.

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3702 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
DJ,

Yes... I shoot an average of 4-5 days a month at the range during the summer.

I already have a small tripod I use right on the bench for my Redfield 20-60 spotting scope that I've had for about 12 years now.

I also usually have a rifle with a Bushnell 6-24x40 Mil-Dot scope that I can use for spotting out to two hundred yards.

$bob$

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do have a look at Bogen/Manfrotto 701RC2, 055 MFV. This tripod offers the best of both worlds: tall and lightweight carbon fiber legs with the feature-packed, heavy-duty 701RC2 fluid head. The carbon fiber and aluminum VIEW tripods share the common features of having four different leg angle options to achieve lower heights; foam rubber padding to protect your hands against the heat and cold; and quick-action leg locks to quickly and quietly set the tripod into position. The 701RC2,055MFV is comprised of the 701RC2 fluid head and the 055MFV carbon fiber tripod. If weight is not a issue you can buy the same tripod in aluminium.

http://www.optics4birding.com

http://www.optics4birding.com/tripods

The Bogen / Manfrotto 3221WN (055BWB) Tripod Legs with 701RC2 Fluid Head

http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Posts: 73 | Location: Rajasthan, India | Registered: 23 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Lynx,

I've been looking over the Manfrotto website the last couple of days and must admit that it appears that they have some very high quality tripods and heads.

I don't find the tripod that you recommended on their website. Is it possible that they no longer make it?

$bob$

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Manfrotto is the nro 1 professional tripod manufacturer used by pro photographers and video people in my region.

I bought this one for SLR and spotting scope use:
http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/op/preview/cache/offonce...livid=68%7C69&idx=71

Got this head for it: http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/off...80|81&lsf=81&child=2

Also have their monopod+another head. Top notch stuff.

Posts: 29 | Location: Nordic | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
LD, I'm glad to hear you're getting a Gorilla pod. I'd like to hear what you think of it when you get it.

JD, the Joby "Gorilla Pod" is will not replace my other tripods..... but it is a great compact tripod!

It works EVERYWHERE! On rocks.... on branches of trees.

For spotting scopes, binocs, cameras, and chronographs......

Great little gizmo! thumb

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DaMan, Glad you like it. It would be nice if a $40 Gizmo would completely replace $400 professional quality tripods completely. At least the $40 Gorilla pod is a useful and inexpensive tool that can replace them for some uses. Plus it's a lot lighter to carry afield.......................DJ

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I've had my gorilla pod and it DEFINITELY get's a thumb from me!!!

It's incredibly versatile! banana

$bob$