Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold 40x45 Competition
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted
I had a Leupold 36x sitting atop my Suhl 150 .22lr benchrest rifle for a couple of years and a couple of months ago it quit on me. I was boresighting it in an indoor range in preparation for an ammunition testing session and the windage adjustments seemed funny- the crosshairs were moving up in addition to the right as I adjusted wingage. Then when I went to adjust elevation, the elevation turret didn't work. The turret was clicking but the crosshairs were dead. Ah, shit happens.

I sent it to Leupold and got word almost a month later that the erector lense had separated. Since my 36x was manufactured in 1979 and they no longer had parts for it, they would replace the scope under warranty.

Any day now a brand new 40x45mm Competition model scope with a fine crosshair reticle should be arriving for me. I already have some 30mm rings on hand and ready to mount it. I liked the 36x very much and haven't shot with a 40x Leupold but I looked through one at a match and thought it looked great. Can't wait!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
The scope arrived last night and I immediately installed it. The glass seems as sharp and clear as anything I've looked through. Now it's finally time to do some shooting with it.

My dog was less than impressed.

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a little surprised that Leupold was unable to repair your 36X, but you can't complain about customer service like this.

I bought my first Leupold in 1965 and have owed many dozens of them since then. In all of those dozens over all of those years I've only had one that required service, and that service was quick and flawless.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I was a little surprised too, but hey I have zero complaints whatsoever. I really liked the 36x but this 40x seems even better.

Not the best scope pic I've taken, but the target in the crosshairs is an IR 50/50 practice target that scored 250-13x. My best for the night was 250-18x (would have been 20x with one click up). I can't wait to shoot matches with this rig now.

One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
For comparison this is the Leupold 36x indoors at the same range. Lighting was a little better for this photo. The small bullet holes are .22, larger ones are .45 and/or 9mm.

Then in the inexpensive glass category, a Mueller 8.5x-25x at 25x.

All targets are at 50 yards. The 40x is just brighter, clearer, and sharper than the rest. The Mueller surprised me with how well it adjusted and held a zero, but there is no comparison in quality between it and the Leupolds.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Evan K.:

Dang, that things patterning like a shotgun!

Smiler

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote