THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Binoculars....Eagle 6x32, Swift 7x36, Vortex 6.5x32, Leupold Katmai 6x32

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binoculars....Eagle 6x32, Swift 7x36, Vortex 6.5x32, Leupold Katmai 6x32
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
Thoughts? Like to hear unbiased info, so if anyone chimes in from an optic dealer, please be 'brand blind' if possible and state the facts.

Heard good things on all the above. Also the Bushnell 7x26-but it's not waterproof. Also that the Katmai's now have Bak-4 vs. 7 glass in the older models?

Likes/dislikes....preferences? Thanks.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I have the 6x32mm Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class that I bought in closeout. They were made in Japan whereas the current EO Ranger SRTs are made in China. However, in discussions with EO staff they claim the Chinese plant they use was the only one that could meet their requirements/specifications for the entire Ranger SRT line and they (the EO people) exercise rigorous quality control and assurance.

I have compared the Katmai 6x32mm and Ranger SRT 6x32mm side by side and liked the Eagle Optics better. Although the field of view of the Katmais is impressive, the lack of clarity at the edges detracts from it. It also appears to me that Leopold is using filters to try to make the image appear enhanced ala Steiner.

The Vortex Fury 6.5x32mm was not available when I bought, but I wish they were when I purchased both my EO Ranger Platinum Class 8x42mm and 6x32mm binoculars. Even though I got the 8x42s for $299 and the 6x32s for $160, I think that the Furys in both sizes would be worth the extra money. The 8x42mm Fury is an exceptional value at $350 and I definitely give the nod to the 6.5x32 Fury over both the Ranger SRT and Katmai. The view is better and they feel just right in my hands. They have better edge to edge clarity, better color representation and resolve in low light better.

Then there is the Swift Eaglet 7x36mm. What it lacks in eye relief and field of view, it makes up for in its image resolution, edge to edge clarity, color representation and low light resolution. Certainly a fine binoculars that when I consider my impressions of them compared to the others they leave the clear distinction of being better. The only thing that would give the nod to the Vortex over the Swifts is the superior warranty Vortex has which guarantees whoever owns them will always have them or comparable replacements no matter what happens to them.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote