New
Find
Notify
Tools

scoping a Cooper 52 25-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what would you put on top of this gun and why?

I am a West Texas deer hunter mainly...shots can be out to 300 yards or so-I usually don't shoot at 'em farther than 200 yards though. Thinking a FXIII 6x42 would do nicely, but looking for other opinions.

Thanks

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice choice. Fixed power scopes are often overlooked, but their advantages of lighter weight, slightly better (theoretically, at least) light transmission, more leak resistant design, and general simplicity make them the same good choice they have always been.

However, I think that I would opt for the more compact 6x36. It gives you 6mm of exit pupil, which is as much light as you can use during a half hour before/after sunset.

If you do decide to opt for a variable, there is no advantage in hunting deer-sized animals to use anything larger than a 40mm objective or higher powered at the top end of 9 or 10 power. In fact, the Leupold 2.5-8 is just about the perfect power range for serious game hunting.

BTW, that Cooper looks like a really nice rifle. Give us a report on in sometime in the future.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote