New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rimfire Scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am shopping for the perfect scope for a .22 rimfire, but am having less than good luck. It seems the majority of 22 scopes are 4 power. My opinion--too much for a 22lr. What would be wrong with using an illuminated 1.5-5x24 Leupold? In my application the majority of shots will be within 50yds in less than perfect light conditions possibly suppressed as well. I like the low power Leupys but when I still have enough light to see the target I can no longer see the reticle.
Any thoughts other than the scope may cost more than the rifle?

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
For a good .22 lr you need AO because most scopes are set up for 100 yds and out.

As far as a scope that cost more than the rifle....happens to me every time and there is nothing wrong with doing that.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any Leupold scope you buy can have the Parallax chenged to a shorter range for use on a 22 Rimfire rifle.
I have four Leupold scopes so changed, and mounted on rimfire rifles.
The most recent scope I sent to Leupold for the parallax change was back at my house one week after sending it to them, and IIRC, the cost was about $17.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use a best quality centerfire scope on your rimfires.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DMB,
Not I would like to do the same on a Leopold for my Savage 17HMR...they can do this to any Leopold???

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgar:
DMB,
Not I would like to do the same on a Leopold for my Savage 17HMR...they can do this to any Leopold???

I know they can do the parallax change on nearly all of their scopes, but I'm not sure about the VX-L, or other of their high priced scopes. I had several VX-II 3-9 scopes, and two fixed FX-II 4x scopes changed by Leupold.
I think a call to the Leupold customer service people can tell you about doing the change to your particular scope.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do the same as DMB. I try to find a used 6 power and send it back to be adjusted to 40 yards. Works like a charm. No experience but I'll bet the 2 1/2 power Leupold light weight would really be good on a 22 with the heavy duplex reticle.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the 2-7 Leupold rimfire scope. I put one on my Nephews 22 and it is working out fine.

You never know when you might want a little more power.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a good rimfire, take a look at the Clearidge Ultra Rm 3-9x32 AO scope. Outstanding scope for the money.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My pick is the Weaver 2-7X Rimfire scope.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried a centerfire rifle scope with no changes? While the parallax may theortically be imperfect, the actual potential error at closer ranges is very small. And to the degree that you place your eye identically from shot to shot, there is no parallax error.

I've never found parallax error with a centerfire scope to materially impact rimfire accuracy at 30 to 50 yards.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used centerfire scopes for 30 years on my rimfires. Never had an issue put Your face in the same spot. I also don't use high power scopes so that makes a diff. also.

Posts: 305 | Location: on the praire and liken it | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go for a variable in Talley tipoff rings. Leupold makes a 2-7x28 and Weaver makes a 2.5-7x28

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote