Find
Notify
Tools

Twilight Binos
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
I'm considering a set of Bino's for Twilight us as I have been using my 8x30 up till now which are good but think a larger pair might be a plan.
Considering; 8x50 Ultravids, 7x40's, 10x40s or 8x40s.
What's your thought for low light bino's, is it worth the extra weight and size of the x50's?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OZHunter,

From your inquiry regarding scopes and this one, I am thinking you are planning a leopard hunt. Where and when?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like x40's. They are pretty bulky, but still workable.
On brands, I lean to Swaro or Kahles. Heavy, but brighter.
Toward the end of my Namibian hunt, we spent an evening just watching a waterhole. My PH(Danie), his bother(Lric) and I sat in a hide. There was a group of baboons barking on a kopje behind us. There was a leopard a little farther off that we could hear once in a while. We had seen his tracks, but he didn't come to our baits. The sun had set, Danie whispered in my ear, "You're going to like this." We waited. It was dark, the only light was the Milky Way. Night sounds everywhere. Slowly seven giraffes came to the water. Danie had Swaros, I had Kahles, Lric had a good pair of German mades. Danie and I watched the giraffes. His brother kept yanking our binos so he could take a look. I've worked the gun and scope counter for a while. Taken a bunch of different brands home. Lieca, Zeis, Swaro and Kahles are well in front of the rest when it comes to twilight.
The full moon finally came up and Lric was OK, again.
Just my opinion.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Hi OZhunter,

well, unbelievable, but my Swaro EL 8,5x42 are perfect twilight binos and I use them as long as hunting without artificial light is possible for any pig hunting here! I have compared them against my Zeiss 8x56 classic and it was impressive, that I could see more details with my EL 8,5x42.

And I am not the only one who has made this experience!

If it should be bigger objective lenses, I would take a SLC 8x56, second choice would be Leica Ultravid 8x50 or 10x50...

but personaly I am very very pleased with that EL !!!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scubapro:
Hi OZhunter,

well, unbelievable, but my Swaro EL 8,5x42 are perfect twilight binos and I use them as long as hunting without artificial light is possible for any pig hunting here! I have compared them against my Zeiss 8x56 classic and it was impressive, that I could see more details with my EL 8,5x42.
(and I am doing about 85% of my hunting during nights!)

And I am not the only one who has made this experience!

If it should be bigger objective lenses, I would take a SLC 8x56, second choice would be Leica Ultravid 8x50 or 10x50...

but personaly I am very very pleased with that EL !!!

www.titanium-gunworks.de

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two pair of 7x42 binox that are just perfect for low light use. One is a Swaro SLC with Swarobrite, and the other is a Meopta. The two are VERY close to each other optically.
But, the only down side is they are heavier than the 8x30's, by a good margin too. So they are not as friendly for carrying long distances like the 8x30's are.

FWIW,

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm stil trying to figure out out how Ozhunter is gonna kill a Leopard with a binocular?

bewildered

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
I'm stil trying to figure out out how Ozhunter is gonna kill a Leopard with a binocular?

bewildered

Take a look at his post regarding Nickel scopes. He is asking about the ~3x10x50mm. Having seen photos of some of his rifles, and over a couple of years here at AR, that appears very atypical of OzHunter's preference (especially given his ownership of smaller objective S&B's, it would take a very, very good scope even with the larger objective to outperform his S&B's.) Add in his comments about late evening blind sitting in the scope post, and those here (OzHunter owns and uses in Africa 8x32 Lieca Ultravids, and it would take a very high end bino with the larger objectives to measurably outperform his Liecas) and it all adds up to specialized kit for a specialized hunt.

Knpwing that he has successfully hunted elephants, lion and buff, but not having read of a successful leopard hunt (knowing that you don't need this kit for a rhino hunt), and well...., his direction seems apparent.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:

bewildered

Big Grin very good question... archer

www.titanium-gunworks.de

one of us
posted Hide Post
Read my very good answer! pissers

Free 500grains

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
OZHunter,

From your inquiry regarding scopes and this one, I am thinking you are planning a leopard hunt. Where and when?

JPK

John,
Yes, Leopard are always a plan, as is more Buff and Jumbo.
But I'm also keen on upgrading some of my Deer and Pig hunting kit.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Meopta Meostar 7x42 Binocular for $860.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Second vote for the Swarovski SLC 7x42. You won't regret it. Great, easy view and very, very bright.

Ken

Posts: 190 | Location: Mountains of Virginia | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Read my very good answer! pissers

O.K?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Come on Gerry, I know 8x56's are popular in Germany for low light hunting, but is the extra bulk worth it over say, 7x40s?

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Sure is - many times you are hanging by the nails - PH guys are even using nightvision stuff - imagine - you are hunting trophy bear and you underestimate the CIC score judgement by 50 points on big bear above 300CIC points it will cost you additional 3.000,00 € - now go figure Wink

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yo ozzie.....

In a word - Yes.

In the night-time Teuton forests with it's twilight zone of shades of gray (dark gray, mostly) & black you'll be begging for every possible advantage. This can also be compensated for by using the best quality optics available even though they may not be "large(er)". Obviously your consideration.

The binocular I grab is dictated by the planned hunting situation.

I'm pleased to leave the mega-bino at home when I have to stalk, climb, or basically get physical. Those monsters hanging around your neck are not the end-all for every hunting situations although I'd always love to have their optical usefulness.

It's all about choices and when I'm spending the better part of the night sitting in a High Seat - great, there's a convenient Shelf or Peg to keep the Mosters handy and from around your neck.

Good when you're doing alot of vehicle use too, but then you don't want to have to cart them along on a prolonged stalk after leaving a vehicle either. They're great optical instruments but heavy & bulky.

Do I use 6x30's, 8x30's, 7x42's or equivalent? You betcha.

Your Buddy JP just doesn't get it but that's O.K. - I'm thick skinned. I wholeheartedly support your quest for a better optical instrument and consider it quite an honor that any consideration I can offer may even be entertained. Africa doesn't seem to have much twilight, perhpas 5 minutes; it goes from a bit twilight to pitch black PDQ. Then from my perspective also it depends on which phase of the moon you're hunting. Since I'm mostly for PG I select the two weeks opposite of the Full Moon - just my preference and it gets dark, like right now. Even with 8x56's at 18:15 in the evening I can normally see; well, ugh, absolutely nothing, so it's a pretty moot point wther I'm anchored with a 2 Kg 8x56 Mega-Bino or a bouncing along with a featherweight 8x30.

Cheers,

Number 10

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Gerry turned me on to big Euro binos in his 9x63 Optolyth, and honestly I am a beleiver.

I still have a pair of 8.5x56 Nikons, and am trying to find a pair of 2nd hand Zeiss, Leica, or Swarovski 8x56 in great condition. But if I have to pay $2000 for them so be it. They are exceptional.

Not a lot of Optolyth dealers that sell binoculars in America. Or I would be using the 9x63.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Come on Gerry, I know 8x56's are popular in Germany for low light hunting, but is the extra bulk worth it over say, 7x40s?

it depends against which You compare:
I compared my Swaro EL 8,5x42 WB against my old Zeiss 8x56: the EL is the winner!

I donßt know what 7x40 You are using - but I even if I compare Swaro EL against SLC there is a big difference for the EL of quality, contrast, brilliance - so the EL is for me exceptional - not the rule...

www.titanium-gunworks.de

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
It's too bad Valdada dropped the BG/A 8X40 in favor of the 10X.
The do still offer the 8X21 compacts at $220 (us) great for the price.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
scubapro, Yes I agree that it depends on age of binos.
My 8x30 Ultravid's far out perform my old West German 10x40BGATs except for magnification.
I am considering similar aged bino's, ether 8x50 Ultravids, 8x40 Ultravids or 7x40 Habitch's.
Will mainly use them in local Pine Forest's for Deer, Foxes, Hair and Pigs with shorter stalks or sitting on twilight .
Ps, AR's Gr8fulldoug has some good options on Leica.
Oh and yes for Leopard and Hyena until I get Mr Spots .

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Hi OZHunter,

as I said, the El´s are exceptional!

If You have a bit of time, wait for January 2010 and get the latest Swarovski EL´s - both 8,5x42 or 10x42 will be then available in Swarovision edition
look here:
http://www.titanium-gunworks.c...x42-swarovision.html

I have seen them and used them yet in nature and even on a mountain hunt: there are worth the extra price and the waiting time - I have ordered mine long ago (and waiting now like a child that they arrive..., but I have also to wait till January 2010... )! Also the amount of light transmission should have been increased (I have only tested in daylight). My result was "awesome and georgeus image"

I also trade Leicas as You could see, but this new one Swarovsion will outperform anything on the market, except if You want an integrated rangefinder like the Leica Geovids (but if so, you pay the price by having reduced brilliance, sharpness and optical performance due to the fact that You need to bring in the didgits in the image...)

Klaus

www.titanium-gunworks.de

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, It seems that Zeiss, Swaro and Leica are all producing new and great lens coatings.
I wonder if they are the same?

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Yes, It seems that Zeiss, Swaro and Leica are all producing new and great lens coatings.
I wonder if they are the same?

NO

www.titanium-gunworks.de