New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope or Rangefinder?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On a limited budget, I am trying to convince myself that my old Leupold 6x36 scopes, paired with a new rangefinder, would be better for my upcoming western Mule Deer hunt, than a new Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 using its rangefinding capability. I'd like your $.02.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
I agree with you; I think a good rangefinder would be of more value. Not gaining much by going to 8 power and ranges are difficult to estimate out there! I'd buy a Leica RF (Swarovski if you can afford it) and be "good to go"!!!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Six power is adequate for Mule Deer out to about 350-400 yards at least. Knowing that the animal is at 250 or 450 is much more important than the extra 2x you suggest. The Leica is great but not cheap, you can pick up a Nikon Monarch 800 for around $300 that will do everything you need.

Get comfortable with your set-up at 200,250 and 300 yards and you shouldn't have any trouble filling your tag when the time comes. The difference in real hunting performance between a 30-06 with a 6x and a whiz bang magnum with a 20 power scope is tiny and only starts at 300+ yards.

The difference in knowing yardage and guessing is huge and can cost you the trophy of a lifetime with a fairly small error.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I used a .270 Win with a Leupold 6x42 for years for all my western hunting. I think the old 6x is considered the "classic" Western scope !!!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I side with the folks recommending the rangefinder. There are some really good ones for pretty reasonable prices now. To get some intel on what's a 'best buy' I'd PM doug from cameraland.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote