New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Magnification Varmint scope for 6mmbr
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm building a 6mmbr for paper punching and long range varmints with shots limited to about 600 yds. I've pretty much decided it has to be variable due to mirage and such. Currently all my scopes are limited to about 20x, but I want more magnification on this scope.

I've only found one scope in my price range that seems to fit my needs so far and just want to make sure I'm not overlooking one. I'm thinking about an elite 4200 in 8x32. I know the MOA adjustments are limited in this scope, but I plan on using Signature inserts to get enough adjustments to reach 600yd with no problem. I do wish it was offered with a fine crosshair.

I would appreciate some input if you have any.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jb177: I had a 6mm BR built for me back in 1997. I am using it for the same purposes you have in mind. I have a Leupold 8.5x25x40mm on it.
What a splendid Rifle/scope combo this is.
My rig uses a Remington XP-100 action, a Jewell underlever saftey trigger, McMillan Marksman style fiberglass stock, 26 1/2" Hart stainless heavy barrel - cryoed (that was the hip thing to do back then!) and my bench rest Riflesmith put it all together without a recoil lug between the barrel and the action!
I have shot Varmints out to just under 500 yards with my 55 and 68 grain bullets and I have shot groups (5 shot 100 yards) as small as .208" with this wonderful Rifle!
The last seven groups I fired with this Rifle measured .298", .480", .393", .320", .299", .384" and .271" (all 5 shots at 100 yards). These were shot on different days and in varying conditions.
I am VERY pleased with this type accuracy from this Rifle. Remember these groups were made with bullets I use on Varmints.
Best of luck with your rig and I am more than happy with the dual uses I get from my Leupold.
My Leupold has the Du-plex crosshairs.
Let me know when you are ready for load recommendations.
Another scope I have been rather happy with of late is the Sightron 6x24's!
I have bought three of these (all used scopes) over the last few years and I made some righteous deals on each of them. They are not quite up to Leupold quality as they show the slightest darkening at 22 - 23 - 24 power. This slight darkening does not hamper the uses I put the Rifles to. Its just about 3 to 4% darker image wise at the highest powers than its lower power brightness.
I like the Du-plex reticles on these Sightrons as well. Thin and nicely proportioned in design and widths.
Good luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote