New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Bottom out problem----HELP!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag. with a Leupold Var XIII and recently I started having really eratic performance from what had been a previously good gun.
Upon examination, I found that the crescent cut in the Leopold standard rings were wearing badly and allowing the windage screws to move in the widening grove that was forming. I had this problem one before on a Browning A-Bolt (300 WSM) also with Leupold standard rings. In that case the crescent wore so badly the thin piece of metal holding the screw in place completely sheered off allowing the scope to move a great deal. In the case of the Browning, I simply had Leupold Dual Dovetail bases installed and the gun has been fine since.
However, I tried this with the Remington and the scope bottomed out when trying to sight it in. It will not adjust any further to the right and is shooting about 6 inches left at 100 yards. (I know not to try to force it.) I really do not want to go back to standard mounts with windage screws since I have had problems with these twice on 300's, but I am not sure what I can do. Even worse, we leave for Argentina April 1 and I need to get this fixed ASAP.

I would appreciate any advice you could give.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One solution is to reverse the base with the ring in place. If the base is not the reversible type, just unscrew it and rotate it 180 degrees, do the rear one first. If the bases are the reversable type try turning the rings 180 degrees and remount the scope. If this fails the holes in the reciever are off and the only solution is to get a set of burris signature rings plus a set of offset ring inserts to rectify the problem. Otherwise there is Conetrole or S&K that have windage screws to offset the scope in the bases.
bigbull

Posts: 398 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
I had problems with so many Leupold rings, on smaller calibers, I quit using them. Seems to be the steel is softer than some other brands. I also agree however about the windage adjustable rings. Just look like a bad idea.

I haven't used Burris Sig's on something like a 300. But they work quite well on smaller calibers. Just be sure to get the whole set of adjustment inserts.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get a set of Ken Farrell rings, and a Farrell one-piece base for less than 200 bucks....and never, ever have to worry about your mounting hardware again. Steel or aluminum.

marc

Posts: 55 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Burris Signature rings are the answer. I use them in my .338 Win and .270 WSM. You can compensate up to 40 MOA with two of the offset bushing kits.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALL,...EVERY,....dovetail base wears out. I have gone to nothing but crosslock rings and bases.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on Burris Signature Rings and their Pos-align offset inserts for just your problem. No lapping, no shimming, they just work, and with zero bending stress on the scope tube.

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote