New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two variable scopes - information needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In my life I have owned only one telescopic sight, a Nikon Buckmaster 4x40 presently on my .22 rimfire rifle. It is semipermanently mounted via Weigand's Integramount. I will not remove it to solve my problem.

Where I live and hunt, deer and elk hunting is done where an exceptionally long shot is 150 yards; likely shots generally occur under 100 yards. My hunting partner has arranged for us to hunt a couple of weeks of the season in Montana east of the Divide, and this will now occur every year. He informs me that the terrain, whose specific area he has hunted for more than 20 years, requires a scope sight.

His rifles use variables whose maximum magnification is 6 power. If I must buy a telescopic sight within the next 60 days, my inclination is to acquire a fixed 2.5 power because I tend to distrust complex optical-mechanical devices. Unfortunately, installing a telescopic sight means that the rifle on which it's mounted cannot use the aperture sight presently installed. So it's one or the other.
Having written that, there are two variable scope sights whose specifications intrigue me. And, yes, they are ungodly expensive - Leupold's VX-7 1.5-6x24 and Nikon's Monarch African 1.5-4x24. Both are 30 mm basis tubes, with large fields of view and generous eye relief, relatively small, with modest magnification, apparently top of the line from their respective manufacturers, and essentially the same price.

Beyond their specifications lists and marketing hyperbole, I know nothing about either of them. My overriding concern is that complex optical-mechanical devices will not be reliable for the long term.

I just want to make a buy, mount the scope, and be done with this for the remainder of my shooting life. Those of you who have experience with either of these sights, or high-quality low magnification fixed power scopes, please let me know your thoughts.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When in Rome...

Those two mentioned scopes are "traditionally" dangerous game scopes... note the 24 mm objectives. If you are going west and don't want anything complicated look around for the traditional "western" scope: a plain 6x, preferably in a good name scope with good reliability... you should be able to get a decent Leupold M8 6x (lifetime guarantee) off Flea bay for around $150 plus shipping... HTH

Posts: 260 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 3-9x40 will probably be perfect...if you buy from a big company (Zeiss, Leupold, Swarovski, etc) then any problems will be easily handled with their lifetime warranty.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear you on unnecessary mechanical complexity. Early variable rifle scopes did tend to suffer from problems like eccentric power cams which would move the point of impact as the power was changed, sealing challenges due to additional (and moving) sealing surfaces which might result in fogging, and inconsistent focus as power was adjusted.

These problems are long since a thing of the past in varibles from dependable scope manufacturers like Leupold, the pricey European makes, and some of the higher end importers of Asian optics.

It sounds as if you are not accustomed to nor do you need high magnification (after all, an elk that is magnified by three or four times should appear plenty large enough to shoot if it is anywhere within the same USGS quadrangle map as the shooter Big Grin)

There are lots of good scopes on the market these days, but I am going to recommend to you only Leupolds since (1) I know their scopes the best, (2) they are the only ones I can unswervingly vouch for as to dependability, and (3) they are widely available.

1. Leupold VX-I or VX-II 2-7: This scope will provide ample eye relief, 98% of the optical quality you can find in a $1500 European model, and utter dependability. It will cost you a fraction of the cost of either of the two you mentioned in your post, has a very large field of view at the low end and more than enough magnification at the upper end for any type of big game. It is also compact and light of weight. Despite advertising hype, the two scopes are functionally identical except that the VX-II offers "click" instead of friction adjustments. If you want to spend a little more money for an "upgraded" version of this scope, step up to the VX-3 2.5-8X.

2. Leupold M8 (used) or FX-II (new or used) 4x. The old standby 4 power scope is woefully overlooked these days. However tough and dependable today's better variables are, the fixed scope from the same manufacturer is just that much tougher and more dependable. It is never set at the "wrong" power when game presents itself. As I observed earlier, what kind of elk is it that is too difficult to see to shoot when magnified "only" four times.

3. If you want a little wider field on the low end, or just a tad more magnification the upper end (useful for sighting in) any of the Leupold VX-I, VX-II, or VX-3 lines in 1-4X, 1.5-5X, 3-9X, or 3.5-10X will serve you well. I have 3-9X or 3.5-10X Leupolds on all of my "big game" rifles and don't miss the wider field that lower magnification provides largely because the rifles "fit" me and the scope looks where the gun points. Since you are accustomed to iron sights, the lower magnification scopes with their slightly more forgiving eye placement might be a better bet for you.

By the way, in order to achieve a wider field of view many manufacturers "cheat" by making the eye placement very critical. Europeans seem to like this optical trade-off, so you will find that most European scopes require your eye to be placed rather precisely in order to acquire the sight picture. For this reason, as well as unnecessary expense, I would advise avoiding the European models. Optically, they are usually excellent telescopes. However, as optical gunsights, they have their own set of handicaps.

Good Hunting!

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't find variable scopes from the better manufacturers to present much of a risk of failure. Still fixed are more rugged. I wouldn't want a fixed scope over 4 power myself. I too recommend Leupolds although I prefer the 2-7x32 models in the VX1 and VX11 lines. They seem to fit me best, your mileage may vary. While I think buying the best optics you can afford is the best plan these models have provided satisfactory service to me at a reasonable cost.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naphtali,

If I follow you correctly you want a scope that:

1) Is reliable and rugged for the rest of your life
2) Can be used in your normal hunting situation deer and elk inside 150 yards
3) Is usuable on an annual out west hunt with 200+ yard shots.
4) you Follow KISS (Keep it simple Stupid) line of thought.

Any top of the model line scope mentioned will fill this role, Leupold, zeiss, Nikon, Sightron, Burris, Bushnell, etc.

you will not go wrong with either or your choices,...but as mentioned, you should look at bigger ofjective lenses. A bigger objective lens allows more light in for low light conditions and allows for a bigger exit pupil so your eye has room to find the sight picture. Divide the second number by the first, I believe the eye can dialate to 4 or5mm so you want at least that big of an exit pupil. Both of your mentioned choices meet that criteria.

The standard is a 3-9X40 scope for this situation. I hunt your exact conditions and have 4 different 3-9's a Leo VX-II, two zeiss conquests, and a Nikon. However I find the 3X can be too much magnification in heavy brush, when stalking or doing a drive. And the 9X usually only gets used on the range for sight in. I have never had a optical failure in a modern scope.

The last scope I bought was a leo VX-III 1.75-6X32 I feel this type of scope is much better suited for this application.

My final comment is you can find everything your looking for and save some money by looking at either of the lower lines of the Manufactures scopes you mentioned. Of the two go with the vx-7 1.75-6 The 6x top end will be more useful on the annual trip then a 4X top end.

Posts: 131 | Location: Southern WI | Registered: 09 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't beat up your rifle and you will not have any problems with a fixed power Leupold.
Smaller scopes tend to take a beating better because they get bumped into things less.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just want to make a buy, mount the scope, and be done with this for the remainder of my shooting life. Those of you who have experience with either of these sights, or high-quality low magnification fixed power scopes, please let me know your thoughts.

Leupold 6x42 in 2-piece Leupold Bases/Rings; plenty for as far as you'd like to shoot

quote:
anywhere within the same USGS quadrangle map as the shooter

It's been on my L/H Remington .243 Winchester for the last 25 years. Other than taking the turret caps off (& back on) when sighting it in haven't touched it other than to wipe it off.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Shottist
posted Hide Post
I use a 4 x 32 Ziess for out to 250 yards. I have a 6 x 42 IOR on another rifle for out to 400 yards. How far do you want to shoot while hunting? Both scopes I mentioned are far superior in optic quality to the ones you listed. They are under $400 and under $600, they won't break the bank.

If your hunting dog is fat, then you aren't getting enough exercise. Smiler

Posts: 598 | Location: currently N 34.41 W 111.54 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not get the straight 6x because your only hunting elk once per year and this will negatively effect all your other hunting needs.

Your right on the money with the new variable although these are designed for bright condition hunting and may not give you a clear dusk/dawn shot if presented. Try considering a 1.75-6x42 leupold. This one is perfect for your current situation and will not limit your other close range opportunities.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote