THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Bushnell and NightForce questions (Scope Ranking)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushnell and NightForce questions (Scope Ranking)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted
I read all the posts regarding "Scope Ranking" with interest. I do have a couple of questions.

1. I purchased an Elite 4200, mounted it, used it on a Savage 12FLV. I'm glad Bushnell's return policy is good. The amount of adjustment, both vertical and horizontal were limited at best. Clairity at higher mag was poor at best.... Why then does it desirve it's rank? I do have an Elite 3200 5-15x50 that puts the 4200 in the higher mag to shame.... I realize that it's only half the mag.... Also different rifle and application. Larger dia. lens helps too.

2. I know nothing to speak of about scopes, but in all those rankings, where is the NightForce, or does one of the abrev. include it? Or is it just expensive.....

Thanks,

The only stupid question, is the one that's never asked....

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
The Nightforce scopes are excellent. They are a bit pricey but not out of line for their quality. For great optics at a VERY good price point I think you'll find the Zeiss Conquest line to be simply outstanding.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
AI22-250 wrote:
quote:
do have an Elite 3200 5-15x50 that puts the 4200 in the higher mag to shame

If that is the case, then you have a faulty 4200 -- and it needs to be returned to the factory for repair.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
It was returned for credit.... with the limited amount of adjustment, I couldn't get above about 500yds, using "clicks", if I remember it had only 20" of travel above and below. The Leupold for instance has 80" total, no need for shims, etc.

I would like someone to talk, in depth about the NightForce Scopes. I'm thinking of putting one on a new Savage rifle I'm building.....

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
I have owned two Nightforce Benchrest model scopes. One was the 8-32 model the other an older 3.5-15 model. Both were good scopes but not three times the scope of a Nikon or Bushnell Elite.

To my eye the glass is only marginally better in the Nightforce to Nikon, Leupold, Zeiss or Bushnell Elite.

If you have to have extra elevation travel than that must be your priority and I would look to the scope and scope models that will get you wherever it is you need to go.

For me it is a simple matter to solve with Burris Signature rings with the 10 or 20 MOA inserts.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nightforce is head and shoulders above the scopes you listed. The real differences show up during 12:00 full sun value. the Nightforce resolves far more mirage to my eyes, as well as presents a clearer view. MHO. The only comparable glass, in the same price range, is the IOR Valdada glass. I have tested these side by side.

Bushnell is cheaper for a reason. They don't have the quality of coatings, the strength of design, or the repeatability that the Nightforce has.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At first glance the Optics of the Nightforce don't necessarily blow away the better Nikons and Bushnells though they are better and as mentioned above the more you look at them the more you will appreciate the improvements over the former.
I'd also say the the Nightforce optics are a step below a S&B/Swaro PH/Zeiss V/VM.
But the Nightforces are strong in a couple other areas. One they are tough as nails. Their adjustments work consistantly and stay that way even with use. They have excellent reticles. They have excellent ranges of elevation adjustments - especially the lower powered ones. I think to get a somewhat better tactical scope you'll have to spend another thousand or more.
Are they worth twice as much as a Leupold MK IV? If it doesn't break in the heat of combat, probably so. For Varmint shooting or range toys maybe not................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
One final question. If money is taken out of the equation, what variable scope, in the higher magnification range would you pick....

-Ben Franklin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JustC pretty much hit it on the head when comparing scopes.

You really need to compare the ones you are thinking about sided by side in the conditions that you are going to use them.

I found that Nightforce was much better seeing through the mirage compared to a Leupold long range extended, so I switched over at that point. With these two, the Nightforce could easily go to 22 power and still make out the target with no problem, the Leupold had to be taken down to ~ 15 in order to resolve the target (pd).

I have not personally looked through the Bushnell elite under these same conditions, nor a Ziess, S&B etc. I only have so much money I can spend.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at a Kahles.

Cheers,
Andy

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
As previously stated Nightforce scopes are excellent, I own 5 of them. The turrets adjust perfectly each and every time.
I also own 2 4200 Elites and they are nice scopes for the money but, are not any where close to the NXS scopes IMHO

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote