New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leica BRF Smokes Swaro
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A buddy of mine just bought a pair of Leica BRF 10X42s. We compared them at dusk to a pair of Swaro 10X42 ELs, we both have better than 20/20 vision. The Leica was brighter and crisper than the Swaro. We could read curb markers 250-300 yards away. We couldn't make out the numbers with the Swaro, even though they were excellent, and I thought I was sold on them after using them hunting pronghorn in Wyoming, but not anymore. The built in scanning rangefinder sures beats fumbling around with a separate rangefinder, response time is phenomenal. I am sold on the BRF.

Posts: 175 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s pretty tough to beat Leica when it comes to pure optical quality. Some are as good, some are close, but it’s a rare one that is better.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whiteeye, I'll believe it when I see it. When you finally get to buy me the lunch you owe me bring on the BRF's and I'll bring my EL's and I'll let you try and prove it to me. My earlier comparison's favored the EL's in the 10x42's. I still wish I hadn't missed that antelope hunt last year, what have you heard about the limited draw area this year?................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ-I called, but you never called back. I am not on a diet anymore so we can go anywhere. Bring some visine with you to make sure your eyes are good and clear when you look through Prdtr's BRFs and make a comparison with the ELs. Big Grin I am buying a pair of BRF, they are excellent, plus I don't have to fumble around for a rangefinder. Not knocking the ELs, though I am concerned about the finish they put on such a high price piece of opitcal equipment. Does the black rub off on all of them? It seems they could develop a better finish for the frame. BTW, 15X56 SLCs are the way to go out west. Haven't hear on the draw, not even sure when it will be posted, I guess I better check.

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I agree Liecas are King.I own 10X42 Liecas and 15X56 Swarovski's,But would have rather had 15 power Liecas Price was to good to pass on the Swarovski's though

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whiteeye, Sorry about not calling back yet. I've been working all over lately and haven't been back for more than long enough to hug the wife and kids. May be a couple months but I'm looking forward to lunch. If you end up hunting the same area as last year I'd like to tag along.....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ-Prdtr is the coordinator. Call when you get back and have some time. BTW, my nine year old shot his first turkey last weekend at the lease you used to be in. It was about 17 pounds, had an 8.75" beard and 3/4" spurs. He is hooked. I was about to stroke out while he was sighting in on the bird. He was unusually calm, I was impressed. He stuck it out until 12:20PM, when we finally got one of the 20 or so gobblers that had been sounding off to come in. Man there were so many hens, I couldn't compete. I rigged him up a remington 1100, with a 21 " barrel, super full choke, nikon monarch red dot in a bsquare mount (he is right handed and left eye dominate), and a synthetic youth stock. He was shooting off my long homemade oak shooting sticks and smacked the bird at 31.5 yards with a 2 3/4" load of #6s. I shot a 9.75 inch 21 lb. bird with 1 3/8 spurs at 15 yards with it. I was impressed. I am ready to trash my SBE for turkey and buy a remington 11-87, but after shooting nearly 40 turkeys, I can honestly say that a remington SP-10 with #4s(if you can lug it around) is the best medicine. The SBE is alright for waterfowl though, I just don't like the cheap beads on the thing, some things about the benelli are just plain cheap. I missed two good birds with it this year at less than 8 feet, my pattern was probably the size of my thumb though, hence my disgust. I plan to keep it though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After this morring i dont know if its the SBE's fault!!!!!!!!!! how many times did you shoot at that bird thats still walking around at the lease? animal

DJ you got to check out the BRF's they are the stuff....... I think we have a few more months before we will know any thing about wyoming. but Im working on a deal for NM muledeer!!!!!!!!!!

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you mean limping?

I was just scaring them, I didn't really want to kill one of those super jakes.

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of 8x56 Swaro's, SLC I think, maybe 5 yrs old. Then I bought these super duper Leica 10x42 BRF -- The Swaro's I should sell 'cause they sit in the safe.

I'm telling you, IF you get a pair of the Leica's, you will then believe your eyes, they are that good. And that built in LRF is pinpoint accurate and on the mark. No more carrying around an extr RF in the ruck, Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lol

Dom, are the brf's better than the 8x56 at night?
thats one pair of binos(8x56) i would still like to have.

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
I'll tell ya PRDATOR, it's a close call, but the Swaro's have the edge -- and bigger field of view. But that said, when it gets dark out, I break out the NV. If I didn't have NV, I would use the Swaro's at night. I seem to pay more attention to what's in my ruck the older I get -- anything extraneous gets taken out, of course, depending on how far I have to walk, not a big deal, but if you're climbing hills & it's a bit of a hike, that weight makes a big diff.

If there was no RF in the Leica's, I would not have got them, the Swaro's are also excellent glass, WH Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote