New
Find
Notify
Tools

Binoculars for mountain hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is a rehash of a post I made in the European forum concerning binoculars for hill stalking. I did not get much response, so I am trying my luck again here.

I am interested in up grading the binoculars I use for spot and stalking hunting in the mountains. I currently use Bausch & Lomb Dicoverer 7x42.

I am looking at circa 8x42 or 10x42 binoculars. Being cheap, I am searching camera stores etc for second hand quality bionculars, shop demos etc. The models / brands I am considering are Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss.

Additionally, I am wondering just how good those little booster lenses are, the ones which convert binoculars into expedient spotting scopes. Zeiss make a 3x magnification booster and Swarovski makes a 2x. Leica, to the best of my knowledge, does not make one of these and I am guessing the boosters only mate with their own brand of binoculars.

What is the opinion on these boosters?

Are the recent Leica BR and Swarovski EL greatly outclassed by the new Leica HD and Swarovski Swarovision EL?

Ideally, I would like the binocular to be towards the lower end of the 24 - 28 oz weight range.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If weight is of importance to you, I would personally look at 8x30 (8x32) class binocs from one of the top manufacturers. IMHO, these are the smallest binocs you can use for extended glassing.

If you don't mind the extra weight of the 8x42 (8.5x42, 10x42 etc) glasses, then this class will offer you some superb optics. Which brand and model to buy is a very peronal matter, so I'll not venture a suggestion. I personally look for good prices for top brand (Zeiss, Leica, Swaro) products. That means I mostly end up with last year's model. Either way, I doubt you'll be disappointed and will get a lifetime of service out of your new binocs.

The best binocs I have personally encountered in the 8x42 class were the Swaro 8.5x42 EL and the Leica 8x42 Ultravids. But I have neither tried the new Swarovision, Ultravid HD or Zeiss FL products in this class. As I said, I mostly look for decent prices, and often end up with last year's product.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Most of the 8x32s from the big three (Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski) are in the 20oz range, while the 10x42s are in the 28oz range. All are very similar in quality, but definitely feel different in your hands and against your face. Try them out and see which feels the best to you.

The 10x magnification will obviously help you if most of your glassing is longrange. If most of your glassing is in thicker cover, the 8x should suffice.

If you plan on doing any longrange glassing, you should absolutely mount your binoculars to a tripod. My favorite is made by the Outdoorsmans in Phoenix, AZ. They also carry a Tripler made by Jim White that attaches to most full-sized binoculars. I have not used it in the field as I always carry a spotting scope, but I know it is popular.

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

Posts: 2 | Location: Chino Valley, AZ | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of Leica 10x42 Ultravids last summer. I have not used them a lot yet, but they seem to be much clearer/sharper than any others I looked at.

If you are able to, go to a store where you can look at and compare several models and brands.

You can always find a deal if you look hard/long enough. I bought my Leicas through a swimming pool dealer that had a Leica dealership also.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What MHO said.
20 ounces is my target weight for mountain hunting binox.
I have a pair of Zeiss Classics in 8x30, the old style, and they weigh in at 20 ounces.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't waste your money on a booster/doubler!

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The consensus is these doublers are not worth it. Thank you for the feedback. I have not come across them before and they are not common here in the UK.

Reading hunting articles etc, the advice is obtain a pair of 8x or 10x binoculars as close to 24oz as possible. Anything over 28 oz (circa 800g) is going to feel tiring around your neck for any length od time.

To keep costs at some sort of sensible level, I will be looking at 'last year's models' and not the new Swarovision or HD models.

I looked into the Minox 'Germa' range of the circa 8x43 HD - APO binoculars, which cost circa £1000 here in the UK. However, these seem to receive mixed reviews.

Some state the optics are not as good as they are hyed to be - the APO, high grade lenses are actually fairly run of the mill, lowerr grade versions etc. They do have the advantage of being light weight theough.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Find yourself a Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss 8x30/32mm bino and never look back! If you could lay your hands on one, the Meopta Meostar 8x32 is a thing of beauty as well!

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite LW bino is my Nikon Premier LXL 8x32mm. My favorite standard weight is an older Swaro SLC 10x42mm. Neither bino is offered any longer although their are new models now in production. I only mentioned them since you said you are shopping for used/demo. My spotter is a Nikon Fieldscope ED 13-30x50mmED. One of those binos and the spotter go everywhere I go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, thank you for your replies.

I found a Leica Ultravid BR in green, 10x42 at a good price, mint condition.

So far, scanning fields and the Downs, I am happy with it. I will have to wait untl the Autumn and Scotland to give it a proper try.