New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX-7
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought off the news stand the special 100th Anniversary edition of Leupold's Hunting Adventures magazine. It has two pictures of the new VX-7 scopes. They are named for the year in which they are coming out. The eye piece looks very much like the Burris FFII except for a very thin gold Leupold gold ring. I remember a few years back one of the Hunting magazine said the Burris FFII in their annual review of products was just plain ugly. I wonder if they will say something different about this Leupold. There is also a hint of a VX-4,VX-5 and VX-6 to come.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many changes or innovations Leupold will actually have in their new lines. They finally jumped on the marketing bandwagon by shuffling around and renaming the product lines then introducing the Rifleman series. Can't blame them in a way because the competition evidently took a fair chunk of their sales, some through aggressive marketing of garbage, and others by making decent scopes at a better price point. I think the VX-L thing will be a sales flop. Who wants to pay big bucks to have part of an expensive lens cut away? Not me. Have to admit that their customer service is still second to none.

"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" - Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Disappointingly, Leupold has been putting a lot more resources into marketing than into products in recent years. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with their products, but rather than investing in things like better glass and incremental improvements to existing designs, they have started putting "bells and whistles" on their products so that the Madison Avenue types can hype them.

I, too, think that the VX-L will be a bust.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with putting the money into product improvement... I guess we'll see when we have a chance to look through the new line...

I did put a Leupold VX-III on my 338-378 Weatherby but that had to do with eye relief and durability more then anything...

I did get to look through one of the Nikon Titanium scopes and it wasn't bad at all... Honestly the glass in the Leupold was right there with the Nikon... My "night vision" isn't good enough to go to close to sunset anyway so any extra light I might have gotten through the Nikon wouldn't make a difference.. Pretty much the same thing I noticed in the Zeiss scopes... Old eyes, oh well...

By the way, I did look through the VX-L... Very good optically but can't say much for the looks... And for the extra money I would've put it into a LPS first...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'll keep my old 3x9 FF II, no objective lense birth defects here.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I don't understand what they are tying to do. They come out and say the VX3 is a top of the line scope...then two years later say the VX7 has optics like european scopes. I believe Leupold makes a fine product...but their marketing dept needs to be fired!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What focal plane are the reticules in the new line?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's something on the VX-7

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They ain't cheap!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $1299 for a 1.5x6??? No grease on that one. Lets see, a VXIII 1.5x5 costs $399....that's 3 of those for one of the VX 7's. Nothing wrong with Leopies, but that's closing in on Swaro prices. I'll take the VXIII, thank-you very much.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold is trying to run with the "big dogs". It may take them a few years.

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I sincerely believe that Leupold is merely cashing in on their good name and that within a few short years we'll see that they've been sold to one of the big European holding companies like all the other American optics companies have.

Burris is a perfect example. They were bought out by the Beretta Holding Company a few years ago and customer service went down the tubes and quality has fallen drastically.

Right now at Leupold "profit taking is high" and quality is low.

For those of you that are heavily invested in Leupold's products I suggest you carefully study the sporting world news and sell your stuff quickly when the news of their sale hits the press.

Used Leupold product values will drop like a rock like Burris, Weaver, Simmons etc. have.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
In fairness to Leupold, insiders that I know report that they are working as hard as they can to improve their scopes, binoculars, and other products.

Problem is that with all the innovation, not every new effort is a home run and there have been some minor disasters lately.

Competition from the likes of Zeiss, Schmidt und Bender, Leica, and well ok, Nightforce and Nikon have made the market more competitive than it was when all they had to worry about was Weaver and Redfield.

But you are correct, if they are to survive, they are going to have to hit a few more homeruns.

yankees

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote