New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pentax Vs. leupold Binoculars
 Login/Join

Picture of Venado Viejo
posted
Guys i want to buy some 10x42 Bino. which of these 2 that run almost at the same $ would be the right choice

Pentax 10x42 DCF HR II Vs
Leupold 10X42 Cascade

Posts: 22 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still got my Pentax, made the Leupolds a gift to a guide. I have several pair of binoculars, including Swaro, Leica and Zeiss, and my Pentax are damn near as good, great value IMO.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say either those Pentax's or the Minox BL series

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3657 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The Pentax DCF HR II is just about their worst roof prism binoculars. I really think they are junk for the money; much better glass out there for that price. If you get the new Leupold Green Ring Cascades they are a better binocular than that Pentax model. Really believe me when I say, you can get much better than the Pentax DCF HR II for the money.

Others to consider:
Bushnell Legend 10x42mm roof prism
Celestron Noble 10x42mm roof prism
Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class 10x42mm in closeout right now for $310! These blow either the Pentax DCF HR II or the Leupold Cascade right out of the water. You can look at them at your nearest Wild Birds Unlimited.
Minox BD 10x42mm BL
Olympus Magellan EWXP I 10x42mm
Stokes Broadwing 10x42mm

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Venado Viejo
posted Hide Post
What about the Alpen Binoculars 10x42 are they good ?

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class is better optically, has a better warranty and is cheaper than the Alpen Apex. You can get the Minox I and Doug listed for about the same price as, and it is better than, the Alpen Apex. I personally don't like the Alpen Apex as there is better glass for less.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Venado Viejo
posted Hide Post
Jackfish

thanks so mucho for your help
i have seen several binos a the eagle optics page that you told me

In my situation which one would you pick between these 4 in a 1,2,3,4 order
i will use them for deer hunting

*Minox BD 10x42 BL Green Binoculars
*Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class 10x42 Binocular
*Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 10x42 Binoculars
*Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class 10x50 Binocular

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The difference between the new Eagle Optics Ranger SRT and the Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class is pretty small. Out of those you list the edge would go to the Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class 10x50mm. They aren't discernably different in size or weight than the 10x42mm and they have better eye relief and will be much better in low light.

1. Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class 10x50mm
2. Minox BD 10x42mm BL
3. Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 10x42mm
4. Eagle Optics Ranger Platinum Class 10x42mm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and checkout the refurbished Bushnell Elite's that Eagle Optics is selling. I just took delivery of a 10x43 and they're fantastic! Can't tell them from new and they're covered under the same warranty.

I've owned Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Nikon LX, and all things in between, and the Elite's hold their own with the best of 'em. The worst case scenario is, if you don't like them, send them back to E.O. within 30 days for a full refund (Same as with any product they sell).

Doug is also great to deal with. If you decide to go with a product he offers, there's no worries whatsoever, and his customer service is second to none.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Venado Viejo
posted Hide Post
Buster

thanks for your advise but they are 500+
i was thinking something aroud 300