Find
Notify
Tools

De-glossing scope finishes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
Has anyone a good method for changing a gloss/lustre/etc scope finish to a matte finish? I was considering steel wool, low pressure bead blasting, and walnut shell blasting. Obviously the object is to not destroy the finish, but to just de-gloss it.

I found a good deal on a "lustre" Nikon Monarch scope and the glossy finish is just too much for me.

I wonder if this would void the warranty were the internals to fail later...???

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered flat black paint? It can be removed if desired and shouldn't have any effect on the warranty.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just send to it to me for about a year, i'll personally guarantee that the finish will be changed Big Grin Wink cigar

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
carding Wheel perhaps, slow and light on the pressure.

I remeber reading about a firm that will alter finish on scopes, if I find it, then I´ll post an link.

/C

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
http://www.jimspradlin.com/scopes.html

$92 to turn a gloss leupold matte black. I emailed them about this last week.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote