New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the difference with scopes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see scopes listed for shotguns and muzzleloaders, what is the difference between those and a scope for a standard hunting rifle, such as 30-06 etc...
Am I to assume its the adjustment range or overall makeup?

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Distance at which they are parallax free, perhaps?
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Distance at which they are parallax free, perhaps?
- mike

Exactly. Reticles may also be different, but the basic scopes are the same.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Typically it is only the reticle, which is usually heavier than the "rifle" models. Sometimes the parallax-free distance may be a little shorter, as with the "rimfire" models. A "shotgun" or "muzzleloader" scope may be used on a rifle just fine, assuming you are not shooting at small targets that require a finer reticle, and your shooting is nearer rather than further. There are no internal differences.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, I have a couple of SMLE's that I built into 45-70's and wanted a low power scope for 50 to 100 yard range. I think I will look into the shotgun scopes and see if they might work.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote