THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Zeiss scopes no longer all German made?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys,
I was told recently that Zeiss scope lenses are no longer ground in Germany but of all places Pakistan. Has any one else heard this?

I had noticed in the Zeiss 2008-9 catalogue there was no mention of new Zeiss scopes being made in Germany only a reference to them being assembled there.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spoke with Doug @Camera land and he said this is not true...i tend to belive Doug!
Daniel

Posts: 1481 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
Spoke with Doug @Camera land and he said this is not true...i tend to belive Doug!
Daniel

What!! No fine Pakistani optical engineering?? Dang, get our hopes up and then crush 'em!

One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
Oldun...!

On page 14 in the catalog it say's.....Made in Germany !

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've also heard that some of their lenses are made by Meopta, but i can't verify it.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ingvar J. Kristjansson:
Oldun...!

Bugger I can't find my copy of the catalogue, it never fails to amuse me how so many things vanish once you want to verify something. Frowner

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steffen-9.3:
i've also heard that some of their lenses are made by Meopta, but i can't verify it.

Since asking around I have been told that some lenses are made in the Republic.
The bloke who told me Pakistan said he was told by a German tourist,to be honest I think he was talking out of the wrong end Big Grin
None the less I thought it worth asking what others know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ingvar J. Kristjansson:
Oldun...!

Found it.
Yes it does for the Victory range.
on page 24 of the catlogue the Classic range it states;
"The final assembly is based on meticulous workmanship and is carried out at the Carl Zeiss factory..."
It was these half remembered words which along with what I was told which tweeked my curiosity, why not made, or manufactured? Why assembled? If the Germans are as they claim, meticulous, and I think they are, I assume this is a considered description and wonder what it points to, or if one is sceptical, obverts?

Others have heard things, perhaps there is something in this Zeiss are not all German made rumour. Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well actually the Conquests are made here,because of cheaper labor cost and no import duty.Here meaning USA

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
Well actually the Conquests are made here,because of cheaper labor cost and no import duty.Here meaning USA

I'm sorry Old-mate but Conquest are assembled in the USA, which is not the same as made.

One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
Hi guys. What is the conclusion about Zeiss??
I have just ordered a Diavari Zeiss 2.5-10X50 rifle scope but still time to cancel if not 100% German.
Your thoughts?

Work to live...live to Hunt....

Posts: 91 | Location: Angola | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
all of their scopes parts are made in Germany....but the Conquest line is asembled over here. The rest are completely made there.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of only.375H&H
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information Ken. It was a big relieve.

Work to live...live to Hunt....

Posts: 91 | Location: Angola | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dollars to doughnuts that Zeiss, like nearly all optical (and other) manufacturers, sources its components from wherever they can be made to meet their specifications and bought at the lowest cost. I would be very surprised if most Zeiss lenses are not Asian in origin.

This in no way reflects poorly on Zeiss; it simply recognizes the reality that aluminum, glass, plastic, screws, and other components used in the manufacture of any product may come from various places around the world, then be assembled in a factory in a single country.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A recent article downunder (referring to labeling of food products) stated that as long as a product was packed or processed in the EU, it could be marked as "Made In or Product of.....(add country)". I wonder if those same rules apply to manufactured items.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roberto Mesquita:
Hi guys. What is the conclusion about Zeiss??
I have just ordered a Diavari Zeiss 2.5-10X50 rifle scope but still time to cancel if not 100% German.
Your thoughts?

You could always buy a NXS 2.5-10x24 Big Grin

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Along the same thought lines, I just found out Swiss watches can be tagged "made in switzerland" so long as they are assembled there. Many of the components are outsourced to China. Might as well buy a Casio.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote