Find
Notify
Tools

Leica Geovid
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
I'm considering getting rid of my Leica Ultravids and my LRF, and replacing them wiht the Geovid range finding binos.

Comments?

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great idea as long as you got the $$$$$$$$$$$

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's had them on sale a couple of weeks ago for$1995.00.......they didn't last long......a couple of days before I had ordered a new spotter or I'd have pulled the trigger on the Geovids.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of the 8 x 42 Geovids 3 weeks ago, they areworth every penny!

the nut behind the butt

Posts: 135 | Location: Somerset | Registered: 15 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
I have had by BRF's (8 x 42's) for a month now and they are fantastic. I had an incident where I left my swaro's on the top of a 4 x 4 and they were bouncing down the road at about 50mph. An insurance claim and off loading my LRF I decieded to buy the BRF's. Best piece of equipement I have bought for ages. If you can stomach the $$ then I would not hesitate.

The longest range so far I have used them for is 1084 yards.

Also they come in either metres or yards. If you are using them for long ranging and you need to calculate in MOA then make sure you get the right ones. I was amazed that after checking with all the main stockists no one had them in yards. I had to get them from Leica but they only had one pair in the UK in yards!!!???

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
the geovids are actually the first unit that I have seen that is actually a real range finder, to me useing the lesser quaility range finders where hit and miss, being able to range a cedar tree at 1k yards is priceless. they do have the range button on the wrong side, but I am still happy with mine, the extra weight makes them real stable to hold so if you normally use an 8x go 10x with the geovids because they will be just as stable, luckily I got mine before doug started the big price increases on the demo models, $1650 is what I payed good luck getting any near that price now though.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Geovids are pretty impressive devices. The ability to range through your binocs is spectacular.

On the downside, they are expensive, comparatively heavy for a given objective lens size, and the ranging electronics only carries a limited (2 years?) warranty. A friend of mine just had his ranging electronics go belly-up, and he was faced with a long wait for a repair.

If you can live with the negatives, the Geovids are possibly the ultimate hunting binoculars, in particular in terrain where ranging ability is paramount to accurate shot placement.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have had mine 8x42 for two years and no problems. Cold weather tends to eat batteries but maybe that was at that time they were new and I just could not stop ranging things as far away as 1300yrds

Everyone that looks through mine thinks they are higher power than 8 and some times I have a hard time holding 8x still

I could not imagine life without them I use for Bowhunting, target shooting, and Deer and coyote hunting.

I paid 1450.00 for mine and I would replace if I had too

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair of 8x42 and now my Swarovski ELs stay in the safe. You'll love them!!!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a pair of 10X42's which ended up with my PH in Namibia last year and I replaced them as soon as possible.

Wouldn't be without them thumb

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Absolutely LOVE mine too. I bought them when they first came out ($1695 then I think). Shocked when I seen how much they went up. I have the 10x42's and they are fantastic. Only downside I can even conjure up is the fact that they are a little big and heavy...the bino-buddy shoulder straps help to offset that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the big reason they have gone up so much in price is the decline in the US dollar vs the Euro.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I don't like the bulkiness or the weight, which is about 34 ounces but feels even heavier.

That's five ounces more than a Swaro 8.5x42mm EL, which to my way of thinking is an excellent, but at 29 ounces, a heavy binocular. I have one and love it, but it's heavier than I would like for most of my hunting.

I just bought a 10x32mm EL from a fellow AR member, and it is a dream at 21 ounces. Plus, it is smaller in all other dimensions as well. I love it, too.

I feel the weight and awkwardness of a big and heavy bino hanging off of me is worse than using a lighter and handier one and having to switch to my Leica CRF 1200 for rangefinding. I just keep the Leica in a shirt or trousers pocket for those times when I need it.

Also, I find that I don't really need a rangefinder all that often. When I do, I do, and it's great to have along, but sometimes I just fiddle with it rather than really need it.

Still, it's a personal choice.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13475 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm about to try out their warranty. Mine fell froma height of 5' onto pavement and something came loose in the left barrel and it stopped focusing. The right barrel which has the laser rangefinder continued to focus and work. They had the caps on the oculars and eyepieces which should have helped protect the binoculars.

Mailed them off today.

I still have 2 other pairs of binoculars that had similar if not worse things happen to them that did no damage.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Update:

Sent off e-mail to request status yesterday and received this:

quote:
We did receive your binoculars. The repair order number is XXXXXX. Unfortunately, the turn around time on these is 3 to 4 months. The scheduled repair date is mid March.

Now that sucks! Brand new this year, something minor wrong and it takes this long. thumbdown

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Update

quote:
I checked with the technicians and they said they would have the repair complete by December 14th.

Now that's better. A positive response to a complaint about repair time! thumb

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Update

They arrived back today repaired, no charge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse,

we can agree on this, they are the best...

I tested a pair for 6 months for a longterm test for Precision Shooting Magazine about twelve years ago. They were $4400 or so, and I cried for a month when I had to send them puppies back. I do not believe they have a rival in their category.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
HAS anyone had any experience with th 7x42 bd geovid I was thinking that would probably be plenty for what I usually do