THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you stop your scope from fogging up.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have had a few issues with my scopes fogging up on the outside of the lenses (never inside the scope as they are all top quality scopes) How do you stop your scopes from fogging in the wet, cool or foggy conditions. Is there any witchs brew or potions you put on the scope lenses which wont detract from the great Zeiss optics?

Sympathy please ,I have champagne tastes and beer budget

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For one thing, don't take te gun inside at night or breaks. If it doesn't warm up it will be less apt to fog. I have heard of lens coatings you can get but don't know any details...

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What worries me about lense coatings suited to skiing goggles and such is whether they will damage the coatings on high grade scope lenses. I was after something which would let the water bead off when rain gets on the lense.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A warm glass being exposed to cold air and fogging is the equivalent of a cold gun being brought inside to a warm environment. Unless you let it normalize slowly to the temperature change, it will sweat like a whore in church.

There are a number of products for glass fogging available; the maker of Rain-X also makes Fog-X. I've used it on mirrors, but not knowing its composition, would most likely not use it on high grade multi-coated scopes. Johnson & Johnson once made a product called "Glass Wax", I haven't seen it in years and don't know if it is still available, but I would guess that its strictly a wax and wouldn't harm any coatings. It definitely would bead the rain and fog.

Check with Zeiss, etc. and see what they recommend.

Posts: 86 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I found a stand at a hunting show where they had a two part wax they were applying to pieces of glass and holding them over steam and things like that. It worked perfectly and was invisible on the glass.
You just rubbed a bit of one wax stick, then the other onto the glass and gently buffed it away. Water would bead, and fog just didn't stick to it.

I baught some and took it home to try. Put it on a scope and never really noticed the difference. Can't say now if that meant it worked or not, but sure didn't do any harm, and probably did work.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
Other than zeiss and bushnell's coatings there is still nothing that really works while maintaining full light transmission and no harm to lens coatings. Keeping the scope at outside temps and away from warm body is the best advice.

Focus

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anti fogging solution is no more than WAX !.
Buy PURE Carnuba and a SUPER SOFT LENS CLOTH . Blow off any dust dirt with either light compressed air or Camera lens brush , then apply a light coat of wax allow to dry polish in a circular manner . Repeat and your DONE , it will help prevent moisture dirt and most anything else from sticking to the out side of the optics .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will try the cornuba wax trick on some of my spare scopes. I will hold off putting it on my good scopes.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Spit?

It's what I use to keep my $200 diving goggles from fogging up.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D99, I,m concerened that the concentrated alchohol in my spit, might eat through the lenses.
Seriously though, spit is what I have used before and seems the safest.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 147 | Location: SW Wash | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Least expensive is spit but then again if it's running from that Dam Rhino that cleared behind you 30 Yd from the thorn thicket I generally don't have any to spare !.

Seriously pure way is the least expensive product and most effective . Don't ever use Car Wax or Polish wax !!!. Pure Carnuba is the way to fly . I learned that from an old safari guide many many years ago . Along with this tip , he covered his Rifle bore with a Condom . Kept out unwanted debris rain mud brush .

Colorful sort he was for a Dutchman .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saliva works somewhat. But be cautious, especially if you've been drinking soda pop or chewing gum. The acidic properties of both can INSTANTLY destroy your lens coatings.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote