Find
Notify
Tools

Matching Optics and Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

I am mixing and matching optics and rifles and I would appreciate your suggestions.

Here is a list of the scopes:
Zeiss 3-9 x 36 Conquest (one of the early ones),
Leupold 4.5-14 X 50 VariX III, and
Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x50 A/O Duplex Matte

Here is a list of the rifles:
CZ527 in .22 Hornet,
Winchester Model 70 Classic in 6.5 WSM, and
Winchester Model 70 Classic in .22-250

I am thinking about mounting them like I have them listed but, I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks in advance.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sell the Zeiss 3-9 x 36 Conquest and the Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x50 A/O Duplex Matte
buy 2 leupold 6x42's and mount them on the CZ527 in .22 Hornet and the Winchester Model 70 Classic in .22-250.
put the Leupold 4.5-14 X 50 VariX III on the Winchester Model 70 Classic in 6.5 WSM.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4-16 = 22/250
3-9 = .22 Hornet
4.5-14 = 6.5-.300wsm

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I 2nd what PC says.

Sympathy please ,I have champagne tastes and beer budget

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I concur with PC as well. Or, sell your rifles and scopes, buy a Nightforce 5.5-22x, build you a custom gun off the new Savage Target Action, and have a do all gun in all calibers. Big Grin

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends on what and where you're hunting but I'd put the Conquest on the 6.5 WSM. I like the availability of lower powers on my hunting guns. As a matter of fact, I'd like a 1.5 to 6 or 2.5 to 10 range a lot better, but that's not one of your choices.

After that, I don't think it makes much difference, but I'd probably do it just like the others and put the Elite on the .22-250, etc.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote