New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions needed for a new scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in need of a new hunting scope that will be put on a Ruger 25-06.
My budget is only $200-250. I'm looking at Nikon Prostaff, Leupold VXI, Swift Premiere - anything else I should consider/stay away from?

Thanks

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Prostaff would be my pick of the three you mentioned. Stay away from the Swift! The Nikons with 1" tubes all seem to have the same glass in them from the Prostaff up through the Monarch, which is pretty darn good for the money. I had a Prostaff on a cheap rifle that I sold that had the clearest sight picture of any Nikon I have ever looked through and wish I would have pulled it off and kept it.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can pick up a pretty nice Leupold Vari X II 3x9 on ebay for your budget. Leupold will check it out for free.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I own plenty of Leupolds and Nikons. I would take the Nikon ProStaff over a Vari-X II or VX-2 any day because the Nikon is brighter.

I avoid using China-manufactured scopes on any rifle I used for hunting (or self-defense). They are getting better, but they aren't there yet.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I like the Leupold VX-1 - and if they are as tough as the guarantee suggests, would choose that over even wonderful brightness and clarity. Mine is only the 2-7 but I guess you could be looking at higher powers. I would not go above 3-9 because of the need to get involved with parallax adjustment and big, vulnerable objective bells.

Posts: 5110 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check Natchez Shooter Supply as they have some real scope sales as much as 60% off on some scopes.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once bought a camera from Leupold. Its optics were okay, even quite good, but it was simply not designed by someone who knew how a camera was used and was a poor excuse for a working camera.

I've also used scopes made by camera companies. Like the Leupold camera, their optics are usually just fine, insofar as optical resolution. But they don't have a clue as to how to build an optical gunsight and their scopes are about as awkward to use for that purpose as the Leupold is to use for a camera.

Get my drift?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Yes, Stonecreek, I feel a bit that way about Nikon. They made the toughest SLR cameras but, since there's B-all rifle hunting in Japan, I doubt their credentials on scopes. On the other hand, despite the lack of tough roads there, the Japs do manage to make the best 4x4s.

Posts: 5110 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
For a low dollar scope I like the Redfields.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the new redfields are, practically speaking, re-packaged VX-1 leupolds.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Nikons Sightron and Burris but will never buy another Swift - cost me the biggest buck ive ever seen.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look at Saeeds guns most have the gold ring. I think that in itself speaks volumes and I've had great luck with the Leupolds too.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Burris Fullfield scopes in this price range.

Don Stewart
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rub Line:
For a low dollar scope I like the Redfields.

In all honesty I think I like Bushnell Elites as much as my Redfield Revolution, if not more. And that is not a shot at the Redfield. The latter does have a better warranty though. But for glass and coatings I have to give the edge to the former.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10168 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Bushnell Elite would be my first choice in that price range, too.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both vx-1 thru vx-3, optically the plastic vx-1 lenses are clear enough for the money IMO and I would rather see a gloss scope on a gloss gun. All other scope makers are using matte finishes and gloss is only an option with select Leupolds.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold! If you can get the VX-II 3X9X40 but even the VX-I would be fine.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Weaver 2-10x38 Classic-V. Use them on a bunch of rifles. Killed a bunch of stuff up to Elk size at 250+ yards.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a very nice S and B 4-12 x 42..has some ring marks and adhesive but is clear and all functions normal. Reticle German 4. PM me if interested.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Bushnell Elite 3200 in 3-9X40. My eyes like them better than the VX-3's in the same configuration. They were discontinued yet are still available NIB.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5238 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From my workshop to my first barbwire fence is 200 yards, the second barbwire fence is 300 yards and the last fence (my neighbors) is 525 long steps or yards...I can see the barbs at 200 yards with my older 2x7 Leupold set on 7 and the wire at 300. Same with the Nikon, and 8X on Burris. I know the Leupold gurantee is the best. What is really amazing is I can see the barbs on at 200 with my 3X and the wire at 300 just like the others on 7X and 8X, ????
Evening and early mornings are about the same up to a point but they all get bad as the day ends, and they all get better as the day progresses in the mornings.

I've tested a heck of a lot of scopes out there and its hard for me to see enough difference in the mid to high end scopes to be concerned from a hunting standpoint.

I did test a Leupold VX1 and a VX3 one evening and sure couldn't tell much differnce. If there was a deer standing out at the 500 yard fence I would be able to shoot at him with a clear picture, now if I would hit him is questionable! 2020

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy the best you can afford. I had bad luck with Millet, Simmons, and BSA.
--- Nuff Sed.

Posts: 83 | Location: Missouri,USA | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sightron S2, Vortex Diamondback, Burris Fullfield 2. In that order.

Sightron and Vortex also have excellent warranty reputations.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can buy about any used Leupold for that kind of money if you shop..and they guarentee is good for the life of the scope even used..If you used Leupold is broke,they will fix it at no charge for you regardless..I buy a lot of used Leupolds for that reason. How can you beat a deal like that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I 2nd Atkinson's advice, find a gently used Leupold. You may also find a good sale and/or rebate on a Zeiss Conquest in your pricerange, wonderful scope for the $.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Nikon buckmaster and Leupold VXII. Tough call, both are tough, both are clear, Nikon may be a little brighter. For best prices, I usually go to SWFA, top right, click on sample list. Reconditioned scopes or displays. saves a few bucks. Have never had an issue including my Steiner 10x50 military/marine binocs I bought from them

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy decent looking used Leupold VX-1 and the older Leupolds of the same series for the most part. With the scope cranked to the bottom end they are always bright enough for me. A rifle scope is not an observation tool for me. It is a sighting device and the mechanical reliability is the most important thing.
My money is tied up in a better spotter and binoculars because they are used regardless of what rifle and scope make the trip.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
As SR4759 says, a riflescope is a sighting device, not a spotting scope. Though I am a steam punk when it comes to riflescopes, I really respect the Leupold VX-1 2-7 as the company makes great claims on reliability, it has excellent eye relief combined with surprisingly large field of view, and the field blending is pretty good compared with many dearer scopes. That the real range is apparently only 2.5-6.5x is something I can live with.

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Go to cameralandny.com. Doug has a few Minox ZA-3 3-9x40 BDC scopes for $159. + @$10 for S&H. Best deal I could find and, to my eyes, they compare well to Zeiss Conquest and are better than Leupold VX-3 and VX-2, or whatever the current Leupold naming system is.
Also, for the money, the Burris FFII 3-9x40 BDC is a grear deal. I did some low light resolution and brightness testing four years ago and the Burris FFII's were right up there with Leupold VX-II, VX-III, and Nikon Monarchs. My Leupolds were older models. I had no Zeiss or Minox to test so can't say how they would have stacked up.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote