THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    anyone tried the Schmidt & Bender 1" Summit scopoes yet?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

anyone tried the Schmidt & Bender 1" Summit scopoes yet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Asked a while back and no one had used one, although one man had one for a custom that was in process. I am looking at another 1" Swaro 3-10, but my favorite scope is an S&B. Was wondering how their 1" scopes are in the field or at the range

And lest an argument break out, I always tell folks to look at The Big Three (S&B, Swaro, Zeiss) and pick the one their eyes like best. I just happen to prefer the S&B.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the range it was great. I havent gotten to use it in the field yet. Comparing it to a z3 and an older swarovski for my eyes there wasnt much of a difference. I wont know how it does in the field until i head off to Alaska next year for a black bear hunt. One of the problems i had was the scope zeroed out, using leupold rings. I changed them out to tallys and plan on going back to the range in the next week or two.

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for th erange report! Am eager to hear how it does in the field under different light and weather conditions.

Interesting about running out of adjustment. As a custom gunmaker and guy who has worked on a lot of factory guns, i have ranted many times about the incredibly loose tolerances in rings, bases, and action base screw holes. I have seen very expensive rifles with scope base screws pointed off into left field. When rings are the same, such as with Leupold's dual dovetail or lever lock rings, Talley's, etc, the problem can usually be solved just by swapping the front and rear rings around. It seems like with modern manufacturing techniques that rngs and bases could be made much more uniformly. Install enough of them and you will see what i mean.

What sort of Leupold rings and bases are you using?

What rifle is it?

Another bodaciously ugly rant i have flown into on thsi sit is how CZ rifles have their barrels screwed in waoo too tigh and they all shoot incredibly low. I have seen many scopes and iron sites run out of adjustment long before the rifle was zeroed in. Remingtons and Winchesters are better, but they can be atrocious at times as well.

Custom rifles can also run out of adjustment. This can be from many things, not all of them the fault of the maker. Different Mauser actions have different tolerances in front and rear ring sizes and relationships between the front and rear. Add to that the fact that the charger hump needs varying depths of cuts to clean it up before drilling and tapping the rear ring. Unless custom rings and bases are made, or factory ones are modified, then the scope can run out of adjustment.

I have only one S&B, a 3-13x50 Magnum from the late '90's and it ran out of adjustment when i first installed it. Had to modify the talley bases to get it hitting where i wanted and having the adjustments be pretty much in the center of their ranges.

And that brings up soemthing else that bears repeating. A scope needs to be pretty much in the center of its adjustment ranges both up and down and right and left if you want it to perform at its best. if the scope is cranked in an extreme range it will not perform to its full potential.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dual dovetails, then talleys highs. Got the talleys to boresight and going to shoot probably this weekend or next. The gun was built on a winchester action by karl feldkamp. The gun shoots good just three inches low with no more room to go up. Karl told me hed order some more rings for me if the talleys dont end up working. Either way the gun shoots realy good but theres no play in the scope.

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote