New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon Monarch 1.1 x 4 30mm ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I found an a new (unused) Nikon Monarch 1.1 x 4 x 30 mm with illuminated dot scope for sale.

I understand these were last made about 4 years ago.

Anyone have any experience with these scopes?

Wanting to put it on a 404 Jeffery.

Hook em Horns

Posts: 330 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lrich, a 404 in an average weight rifle is not a heavy recoiling round, so I would think it would hold up just fine. Michael458 had great luck with the Nikon 1-4 African on some of the monsters he tested, where most scoped failed.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
The power range would be OK but I have suspicions about Nikon in regard to scopes.

The lenses might be great but if the field blending and erector tube's resistance to recoil and bumping are no better than my 4-16x42, I would not want it on a rifle for dangerous game.

My doubts were initially spurred on by the understanding that there is little or no rifle shooting in Japan and maybe they don't really understand the issues involved. However, a contributor on another thread tells me Nikon don't even make their own scopes, that they have outsourced that function. He has not told us who actually does make them, though.

Posts: 4969 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Biebs and sambarman.

I have talked to Michael myself in regards to the ruggedness of the Nikon scopes. He told me that on his heavy recoiling rifles he has had better luck with the Nikons than Leupolds. He has had no failure with the Nikons whereas he continually has a number of Leupolds in for repair.

I have the 1x4 Nikon on my 404 J now but ran across the 1.1x4 30mm scope. It was brighter and had a wider field of view.

Hook em Horns

Posts: 330 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Nikon 1-4x24 with 30mm tube is still available outside of the US. The Monarch 7 series includes a 1-4x24 and a 1.5-6x42, available with or without illumination. I was discussing them with one of the Nikon Canada reps a few weeks ago. I'm not a huge fan of the relatively tall turrets from an aesthetic standpoint, but they look like great scopes. I was thinking of getting one for my .375, but with the Leica ER-5 coming out in 1-5x24 and 1.5-8x32 I may go that route instead.

It's not the caliber of the rifle that matters - It's the caliber of the man behind it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a 1X4 Monarch after reading Michael458's success with them to put on a 458Lott mostly cause the price was right at the time. I ran into the same problem as Canadaboy with the size of the turrets. Kept running into the windage turret when practicing reloading drills picked up an older Swarovski 1.25x4 that fixed my problem..

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but with the Leica ER-5 coming out in 1-5x24 and 1.5-8x32 I may go that route instead.

Spent some time looking through Leica's new ER5 scopes at SCI like them a lot...
The 1.5x8 would be a great scope on a medium bore rifle, 375 to 416 each an honest 200yrd shooter.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a Fords and Chevy argument, but I prefer Leupolds on any big game rifle, when you get to the really big ones, they all can ruin the best of scopes in time, sometimes a short time..But I have never seen a Leupold Compact destroyed by recoil so its my choice for even the 505 Gibbs. Its been on that light weight 505 now for over 10 years. I sold the gun because of recoil to the fellow that is apparently nerve dead, he loves recoil..

However, my 404 wore a Leupold 3X for a number of years as have my 375, and 416s..These calibers seem to be scope friendly to most any quality scope.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use this sight on my AKMoid the Vepr 308, for use on battue huntings, because of its wide field of view. It was checked by my buddy on his African carbine and not fall apart Smiler Actually I haven't heard about big problems with the Nikon Monarchs. There are minor flaws - lid included constantly falling in the snow, and somehow not long enough illumination in the winter, though it probably was just unlucky with batteries.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote