Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nightforce Vs. IOR
 Login/Join

posted
I am putting togeather a new long range rig in 6.5 and was wondering if anyone can give me some advise on scope choice. I hear good things about both IOR and Nightforce but dont know where to put my $$$ Does one have a quality advantage over the other?

Thank You

Posts: 8 | Location: Folsom, CA | Registered: 30 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rice Protein:
I am putting togeather a new long range rig in 6.5 and was wondering if anyone can give me some advise on scope choice. I hear good things about both IOR and Nightforce but dont know where to put my $$$ Does one have a quality advantage over the other?

Thank You

I've hear that the IOR's are OK. I know that the Nightforces are very good - I have 3 of them. If I were choosing between them I'd go with another Nightforce since they are well proven and I know they are excellent.
The IOR's might or might not be just as good but they aren't as well known or as proven........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
+1.What dj said.......... beer

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I've got a new 6.5 coming and have been looking hard at the Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 with the Rapid Z 800. Looks like about $750.00.

Got any words of wisdom about that one dj?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods, I've got a 4.5x14 Conquest on a particularly lovely Sako 223. I like the scope much but it would be even better with the Rapid Z reticle.
That scope in particular is one of the reasons I'm not as big a fan of Leupolds as I used to be. I was off on a job and had brought a couple rifles with me to shoot on weekends off. I spent something like a 1/2 hour one day trying to get the Leupold (a Vari-x III) to focus properly, the Zeiss took about 2 seconds. The newer Leupy VX III's are a little better but that little Zeiss sure showed up the older ones.
I'm thinking that you'll really enjoy one...............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
I love my NightForce & looking to buy another.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an IOR on an AR-15. I sure as heck am not worried about it breaking. Decent glass. I like it. I run a Kahles on my 6.5. Don't get me started on my 6.5.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my 5.5-22X56 NXS. It is a large scope though.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the dope on the NXS line. You can find comparable and maybe even better glass, your eye wont be able to tell the difference though, but good glass along with durability, quality and user friendly...only the NXS.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
Here is the dope on the NXS line. You can find comparable and maybe even better glass, your eye wont be able to tell the difference though, but good glass along with durability, quality and user friendly...only the NXS.

Perry

The only Nightforce I have experience with just happens to rank with me as the clearest piece of glass I have ever looked through...and I've owned Zeiss, Meopta, Kahles, etc, etc.

By way of contrast, the several IOR scopes I've tried have been filthy inside...full of dust particles which looked like black lumps of coal attached all over the place at random.

I surely agree that may just be happenstance, but if I were offered a choice as to which I had to choose, I would take the NF, no contest.
YMMF

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
I love my 5.5-22X56 NXS. It is a large scope though.

Perry

+1! NPR-2 Reticle.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns