Find
Notify
Tools

Bino's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted
I'm looking at getting a decent pair of 10x42(ish) bins. I had a look at a set of Elite 10x43 and they were very good. I've looked at the price of a set of Monarch's and they are much cheaper. In scope models the Monarch is (in my opinion) better than the Elite 4200. How do the Monarchs compare with the Elite. I can not get to look at Nikons over here.

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the Minox 10 x 43......excellent glass. I recently bought a pair and couldn't be happier. Comparable to the high end euro's and a lot less.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I don't think the Monarch's are as good as the Bushnell Elite binoculars. Don't get me wrong, the Monarch's are very nice binoculars for the money. I would not hesitate to recommend them, just not as good as the Elites.

Posts: 750 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I'm fond of the Nikon Monarch scopes, my opinion of the Nikon Monarch binos is that they're okay, but nothing to get too excited about. I've used the 10x42 Monarchs and the newer 10x43 Bushnell Elites, and IMHO, the Elites are head and shoulders above the Monarchs.

If you decide on an Elite, I'd suggest you contact Eagle Optics to see if they have or can get any more of the refurbs, as they were a fantastic deal atr $500.00...

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
For the price, there are better binoculars than the Nikon Monarch ATB.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents, I promise you that you will be VERY impressed with the Minox bino's. I had not even heard of then when I started my search for a stronger bino than my Swaro 7x42's. This is flat a great bino and at $669 bucks it is hard to beat.
I compared it heads up against my Nikons and my Swaros at both mid-afternoon and dusk lighting...great.
Just my $.02.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GarBy, I have to agree with your post. I was not aware of the Minox pricing, but at that price that is great glass. The guide I went antelope hunting with had a pair and they were fantastic.

Having said that, he tried my Leica 10x42 ranging binos, and had to have a set. His minox are now going to be his 'truck set'.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish...you are correct...the Minox beat most everything I checked anywhere near their price. I also agree that the Leica's and Swaro's at about $1300-1500 a pop are a tad better....but just a tad...and the $$ difference just doesn't justify it for me. If one were sitting and glassing for hours on end...I think I'd want a spotting scope instead of binos.

Gary

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I would also check out the Pentax, IMHO for the dollare they are a great value, Their top end glass. $500 is right up there with the more spendy brands as far as quality.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to EBAY and get an older pair of U.S. A. Rochester NY made Bausch & Lombs and nothing will beat them. You'll save a bunch of money. The 7x35 Zephyr's are great.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote