Find
Notify
Tools

Field of View.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted
I have been buying the new Bushnell 4200 side focus models for my rimmys and they re absolutely superb optically and dimension wise. However a real issue I have found when lamping, is the terribly narrow field of view.
When I look through any of my 4200s (4-16, 8-32s) I notice that they all have a very narrow field of view in comparison to nearly every other scope manufacturers.
I initially thought that the side focus was an issue, but as the older 4200s are the same kybosh that theory.

What is the deciding factors that generate a good field of view on similar mag scopes???

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In comparing two scopes, at the same magnification, the scope with shorter eye relief and a larger ocular lens will have a larger field of view.

When you say “terribly narrow†what exactly are you talking about?

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Swaro has added in his new Z6 edition one more component, which "scatters" the beam in the optic...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Johnny foreigner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fyj:
In comparing two scopes, at the same magnification, the scope with shorter eye relief and a larger ocular lens will have a larger field of view.

I noticed when lamping, that I had difficulty aquiring the foxes that were visible in the lamp. I found that when I switched the scope to a Nikon 6.5-20 x 44 that the problem was less noticeable.
Looking at a house 80 yards away, I can get the whole roofline in view with the Nikon, but the 4200 clipped about 15 foot off of the sight picture.

DW

Posts: 156 | Location: UK Oxford | Registered: 12 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scubapro:
Swaro has added in his new Z6 edition one more component, which "scatters" the beam in the optic...

You can “scatter†the light waves all you want to inside the scope, but they still have to come out of the ocular lens and focus at the given eye relief in order for you to “see†the image.

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny foreigner:
quote:
Originally posted by fyj:

I noticed when lamping, that I had difficulty aquiring the foxes that were visible in the lamp. I found that when I switched the scope to a Nikon 6.5-20 x 44 that the problem was less noticeable.
Looking at a house 80 yards away, I can get the whole roofline in view with the Nikon, but the 4200 clipped about 15 foot off of the sight picture.

Johnny,

I think we are losing something in the translation here.

A Nikon 6.5-20x44mm scope has a 100 yard FOV at 6.5x of 16 feet. At 80 yards it would be down to around 10 or 12 feet. You are saying that the Bushnell has “15 feet†less FOV at 80 yards than the Nikon does at the same power setting?????