New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VX 6 Breaktru or bust?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have a real review of these scopes? They look good on paper. Are they worth the premium over VX R? Any input appreciated.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I'd like to hear the answer to that also. The Leupold guy said there was a mountain of difference, but I'm suspicious!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well why do you love the VX6?

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I absolutely believe there is a point of diminishing return with optics. This is especially true as the eyes age. What is the useable gain over the increased price and is it worth the cost to you? Only each individual can answer that question, but there is no doubt that there is a marketing component in all "new" optics.

That said, 90% of my scopes are Leupold and my binos are Leica. If you are young, buy the best as they will last your entire life. If you are older, the extra expense may yield negligible results.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The post on 24hr campfire sure are favorable to the VX 6! At less than half the price of the Swaro z6 I just ordered one. Won't be here for a month. I'll report comparison early summer. I have the Z 6 and it's a great scope!

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
Well why do you love the VX6?

Click on the link I provided. It's all there.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like it isn't any better or worse than any of the higher end scopes.

Leupold is American made, and does have the best customer service of anyone. That's worth plenty.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing I just learned about Leupold's warranty. It does not cover fire damage. I think Vortex does cover even if fire damage.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Then I guess I won't set any my Leupolds on fire.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
And if they do catch fire, for god' sake, don't pissers on 'em to put 'em out!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are cute! We lost out home to fire last year. I can tell you first hand how well fireproof gun safes work. It was not pretty. George

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Studdog, sorry to hear about the fire.

Back to the VX6: I liked the scope enough to buy a 1-6x24 with the circledot ret to mount on my wife's Merkel K1 Stutzen in 7x57r.

I found the quality of the glass to be at least on par with Conquest stuff but with much better eye relief and a more neutral "feel" to the visuals. Moreover, I really liked the reticle thickness, very easy to focus on it.

Anyway, I liked it enough that I'm seriously considering the same scope (but with #4 lighted ret) for a 9.3x74r double.

Is the glass on par with Leica or Swaro's best? No, not based on my looking deep into the shadows of the vaulted roofs at SCI in the convention center, but the glass (*to me) was far and away more clear and resolving than Trijicon's stuff and about 90% as good as Leica's or Swaro's best.

I'm just trying to justify putting 'Merican stuff on my Euro-rifle. LOL!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned before I've done a previous post regarding my impressions of a VX 6 1-6 used on a buffalo hunt last September. It is compact and relatively light for a scope in this class, it is fast to pick up the sight picture. The optical quality is very good and certainly sufficient for a DG rifle. Most importantly it has stood up to hundreds of 450 Rigby rounds and has never lost zero. For my purpose I look at the practical performance of the optic not just the technical analysis. There are many fine scopes out there but for me many of them are too bulky and heavy. A couple of the PH's shot the gun and gave a big thumbs up on the scope. That's good enough for me.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I can't speak about the VX 6 but hopefully it is better than the 2-7 VX R I've looked through. The big black ring around the edge of the field made my VX 1 look like a Zeiss in comparison. If you use the illuminated dot, turn it right down so you might have a chance of seeing the target.

But as one who leaves the night to the critters as a matter of law and sportsmanship, I don't actually see much need for illuminated dots. When I can't see the thickened crosswires in the wound-up scope any more, it's time for supper.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received my VX 6 yesterday. Good looking product. A little on the big side, about the same as a 3X9 Zeiss Conquest but 30mm tube. Nice setup for illuminated reticle function. Nice fixed eye relief. Today I will compare optical quality with Swaro Z6 and Conquest.

one of us
Picture of FOsteology
posted Hide Post
My oldest son and I compared a VX-6 2-12x42mm last year to a handful of scopes. To our eyes, it was optically better than a Conquest, and was splitting hairs (until after legal sunset) with a Swarovski Z3 (Z3 gets the ever slight edge to our eyes).

The rheostat on the VX-6 and V-R scopes are a huge improvement. I especially like the VX-6 1-6x24mm with the illuminated German #4 (looks more like a Post & Duplex) as the field of view is generous, good eye relief, and ample eye box (very easy to get behind).

My PH last year (John Sharp) was impressed with the VX-6 as well. It now resides on his .375 H&H

Posts: 1181 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compared the VX 6 2-12 x42 with SWARO Z 6 1.7-10 AND Zeiss CONQUEST 3-9. Swaro slightly better field of view. Opticaly, for me, not much difference. Conquest not in same league. WIll not be able to judge more until I get the VX 6 mounted on a rifle. At this point, IMHO, the VX 6 is a great value for the $ and has a lot of nice features,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the warranty on the illumination feature of the Leupold VX6 lifetime or two years? It used to be two years on the VX3s.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct. I just read the warranty card and it says 2 years on electronic components. I don't remember Swaro's coverage? Lifetime?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like what I see in the VX6. I think they are perfect for my DG battery. I ordered 5 of the 1x6 illuminated with #4 and in the process of putting them on my 450/400, 2 .404s., a .416, a .375. I will leave a VX R on a .458 for now. Only shot the 450/400 so far but perfect for me. Lots of optics for the money.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Don't do things by half, do you, Butch? Have you tried the European scopes and found them wanting?

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sambarman,

I have tried the European optics, but my aging eyes can't see much difference, and I prefer the eye relief of the Leupolds over the Euro stuff, and I really can't get used to the different focal plane of the euro reticles. For my shooting preferences I just think the Leupold is more bang for the buck, great warranty and service and here in USA.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I guess there's something to be said for having all the same and getting used to those characteristics on a DG rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good observation Sambarman.
All my rifles have the same LOP, same recoil pad, same trigger pull, longer eye relief scopes, so I can grab one and go.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would one of you gentlemen who have a VX-6 in 1-6x24mm care to take a measurement for me? I would like to know how far back the objective lense sets from the front of the scope. I'm hoping there is enough room for a scope ring in front of the lense.

Posts: 206 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Now if only Leupold would step up to the plate and make rails and mounts instead of just tubes and rings . . .

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apprentice,

using a cheap Chinese tape measure at my office, the set-back appears to be 7/8ths of an inch.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
The Outdoor Life test and review issue is out and they do a pretty good job of objective (pun intended) testing for optical performance. I think the VX 6 test scope got their editors choice award.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VX6 2-12 Now mounted on favorite 300 WM looks great. Very nice optics for the $! Lighted reticle great controls very simple. Can hardly wait to shoot it. I've been a euro optics guy for years but this VX 6 is top notch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm taking the vx6 to Africa in a couple weeks. So far I've been impressed with it.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just back from 21 days in Africa. I used the VX-6 2x12 with dot exclusively and must say I'm very impressed. Scope was mounted on a Ruger African 9.3x62 and the dot allowed me to make shots that would have been much harder trying to find a crosshair at times. We night hunted for varmints and small cats ant it was very impressive. I'm sold.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the real world report.

posted Hide Post
I can't give the thumbs up for the VX6. Recently purchased the 2-12x42 and have just returned it for a refund. Clearly I got a "lemon", but am now a little reluctant to replace it with the same thing. I am by no means a scope "snob" and the purchase of a VX6 was a step up from my normal line of scopes (Conquest, Vortex and VX3). When the scope arrived I could not focus it. I could focus the reticle but the image was soft. I finally rotated the eye piece way past where I would normally set it and the image came into focus. I found that it gave a nice "big" image like quality European scopes but by no means better clarity than my Conquest or Vortex. The reticle was large with heavy lines and would probably be handy for normal hunting and low light. Not so handy for precision shooting if that was your thing. I didn't find the reticle edges to be as "defined" as other brands or even VX3. This was probably due to how thick they are. Ultimately I could not sight in my Blaser 280 barrel with this scope. I couldn't group within 3 inches and the tracking was unreliable. I tried multiple loads with no luck. Was about to throw the 280 barrel in the creek when I tried two other scopes on the 280 barrel and got sub MOA groups with both scopes and whatever load I tried. VX6 has been sent back. Just my experience.

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had mine about a year. Outstanding scope.

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I just bought one for my 7mm rum. I had been looking for a year and nothing I could find was better for my eyes. I got the 3x18x44 It will be used to hunt deer over bean fields and ring gongs.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
friend once told me " I got me a gun for my scope "
most of us underestimate good optics

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Boarkiller you are so right. I tell everyone that ask me," you can't shoot what you can't see".

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
Just back from the range the new vx6 are a dream. I shot 1" groups at 300 for zeroing as prescribed by the owners manual. The eye relief was very generous. I would recommend it to any one for an off the shelf rifle. When I have my 338 built It may wear a 4X24 depending on cost of the rifle. I'll be ordering the CDS turrets as soon as I get the average of the load I shoot worked out. I'll post when I do. I know the east coast long range is nothing compared to the mid west so not everyone will like them as well as I do.

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got to shoot the VX 6. Great scope for the $. VX R ok but not near as good as VX 6. IMHO