New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Spotting Scopes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I can't find much using search so I apologize if this has already been covered.

Are the Leupold spotting scopes good? I can get one at a discount so the price point is less for me.

I'm looking for something to use in Yellowstone. I will get a mountain goat tag here in Colorado in a few years and I do hunt antelope frequently (although I don't know that I'll use it for them).

I have a pair of Swaro 8x32 EL's. I originally had the 10x42's but found that I didn't carry them in the field due to bulkiness. I suspect that I'll keep the spotting scope in the truck and carry it far less (other than the goat hunt at some point).

The three that I'm looking at are:

15X30X50 kit which includes case and tripod
12x40x60
12x40x60xHD

Thoughts?

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can understand that if you don't pay a lot then what the heck. If it's just to view some animals at Yellowstone then sure get one of the Leu. scopes. I have the 15-60X one with an angle eyepiece and it's ok but not superior at the range.

Now if you had the bucks and were going after a stone sheep that required a full curl then perhaps one of the premo brands would cut it when the cheap one might not.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What about the power, though? I've been searching through the forums and have seen a number of suggestions that, most of the time, power over 30x gets kind of tough. I'm seeing people talking about the clarity and stability over 30x. It kind of makes an argument for the 15-30x scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one of the big ones that costs about $900 now but didn't 15 years ago. It's a better scope than the Nikon "Sky and Field" of comparable strength. The list on the Nikon is about $700 but they are closing them out at about $375 a lot of places.
The Leupold is almost as good as a Swaroski I looked at not long ago. I had a hard time telling much diference due to mirage.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The more I look into this the more I lean toward the 15x30. Although I like the idea of a 60mm objective I'm beginning to think that I may not need that much magnification.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Parshal: I presently own spotting scopes by Leupold, Bushnell, Bausch & Lomb, Unertl, Burris, Nikon and one other one I have forgotten the name of.
This Nikon I have now is what I take to Yellowstone and I also use it for Spring Bear, Antelope, Mule Deer, Elk, Whitetailed Deer Hunting as well as all types of Varminting. Just yesterday (and the 3 days prior to that) I was using it to "judge" Shiras Bull Moose at ranges up to 3 miles!
Now admittedly those 3 mile judgings were on huge creatures with very large antlers and with the sun at my back!
I recently used this scope to judge Mt. Goat horns for two of my lucky Hunting partners on different Hunts!
I am VERY happy with this Nikon fixed 20 power scope! Its focus-ability makes up for any lack of power I may have had questions about when I bought it for $180.00 several years ago!
I find very little eye strain after using this scope for extended periods of use "judging" game!
Antelope are VERY tough to judge at extended distances and only Mt. Goats are tougher in my experience!
This Nikon has worked very well for me on them AND, I say AND - its pretty light weight - easy to pack! Something my Unertl is not!
I stay away from variable power spotting scopes anymore as the eyestrain factor for my 59 year old eyes is a VERY important (most!) factor in my choice of spotting scopes anymore!
This fixed power Nikon is an EXCELLENT choice when all factors are considered (eyestrain, field of view, cost, weight, clarity of image, light gathering, durability and maybe - warranty).
Best of luck whichever you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cheaptrick
posted Hide Post
Varmint Guy:
Which model of Nikon are you using??
XL??

Quite an endorsement you have on your post!!
Smiler

cheaptrick.....out!!

Posts: 238 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheaptrick: Its the Nikon Sky & Earth 20 power by 60mm
objective!
I am attempting to enclose a link to the Nikon site for it!

Link: http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/product.php?group=15&subgroup=153&product=7350

I am VERY happy with this relatively inexpensive scope. Its been in some inclement weather as well but I protect it as best i can.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Parshal,

I am using the Leupold 12-40X60 HD kit. Next week I will be trying it out on antelope.

I took it to Colorado for a ML deer hunt, but really did not get to use it there.

So far it does well, but no challenges yet. It has better optics than my Bushnell 20X85, but that scope is at least 30 years old.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote