New
Find
Notify
Tools

broken fingers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
so i walks into the local guys shop yeaterday. somebody had just left a 2-7 leupold compact on consignment. thing was like new - not even a slight ring mark. he wanted to get $100 out of it. I think I broke 2 fingers in the rush to get my wallet out

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, with them two broke fingers, are you gonna be able to mount the scope??? jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
So my question is, why didn't the gunshop just buy it from him and turn around and mark it up by $50-75? I've never broken any fingers on deals like this, but I have torn the hip pocket off of my pants trying to get my billfold out. Big Grin

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i asked them that and they just said that what the guy wanted.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i broke 2 fingers turning the power ring on one.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Deals like that don't come around often enough -- at least not for me. This week, however, I did pick up a customized FN 98 with a 25" 1:9 Shilen barrel, a Gentry 3-position safety, a cock-on-opening bolt (buttery-smooth) and a really nice walnut stock off the Texas Predator Posse for $450.

The caliber is 6.5x55 AI/Jourdan, and RCBS dies were included, along with SEVERAL HUNDRED pieces of formed brass -- most of it Lapua.

On the rifle was a Sightron SII 4.5-14x50 scope, which I did not think I'd like but actually do.

I don't care for the Millet base/rings and will switch that out, but the rest of the package is nice -- and 200 yard groups with the ammo he sent me (120 grain TSX/53.5 grains Re-22) is grouping right at an inch at 200 yards.

So, what have your experiences been with the Sightrons?

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby! You shouldn't be bragging about this. Someone is liable to turn you in to the cops for theft! Helluva deal!

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek wrote: "Bobby! You shouldn't be bragging about this. Someone is liable to turn you in to the cops for theft! Helluva deal!"

I was thrilled with the deal. Usually, when I happen upon a good deal, it's over and done with. I was lucky on this one and saw the post just a couple minutes after he listed it. And being the 6.5 fan that I am, I couldn't pass it up.

I got to work with the rifle and scope a little more earlier today, and while the rifle is a sweet shooter, the scope is what has my attention. The resolution is ample to see bullet holes at 200 yards (and the lighting wasn't exactly conducive to this, either).

I have a Nikon Monarch 3.3-10x44 that I planned on putting on the rifle, but I think I will leave well enough alone for now. I hope to take it out for a little hog hunting soon, and that's when a scope -- for me, at least -- proves its mettle as the lighting is generally poor and the contrast range quite low, for the hogs move most right at daybreak and again right at dark. Hopefully, one will cooperate for me shortly... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

You scored big time with that purchase!!!
Great looking rifle and a great deal on the price.
There are some guys over on 24 Hour who rave about Sightron scopes. I've never owned on though.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Droooool thumbBobby,if you want to make a fast fifty bucks on that outfit,let me know. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I actually may sell it a little later. I have more 6.5s than I need and right now am seeing if our oldest, who turns 16 this month, likes this bolt rifle.

When I saw the price, I just instinctively "had to have it," no matter if it made sense or not... Roll Eyes

And I probably cracked the keyboard keys typing "I'll take it!"

It's a good shooter -- no doubt about that. Yesterday, I tried 50 grains of Re-22 with the 130 grain Accubond. Shooting into a slight headwind, a 5-shot, 200 yard group went 1.022. The velocity of the Accubond load is fairly mild, but 2900 fps is plenty for anything here in Texas, and the high BC of that bullet means it retains velocity and energy extremely well.

I've been hoping for a hog to cooperate for me, but that hasn't happened yet. The previous owner of this rifle was from TX also and used the 6.5x55AI-J to take quite a few piggies with that 120 grain TSX load.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ