Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted
Thinking about which binoculars people prefer for hunting?
Does your preference change with terrain or do you stick with one particular "go-to" set?
Any other comments?

Question:
What power magnification do you prefer?

Choices:
7x
8x
8.5x
10x
12x
Other? Please specify...

Question:
What brand do you prefer?

Choices:
Swarovski
Leica
Zeiss
Nikon
Other? Please specify...

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
8x42 because they're light enough, yet bright enough for low light conditions.
I have Leupold "Green Ring" bino's that I can't fault for the money & TBH the more expensive options I've checked out don't seem to warrant the extra outlay.
On the other hand, I've looked through cheaper options that were 'orrible!

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Take the Swaro EL 8,5x42 Swarovision and you have the perfect tool for any hunt! It´s awesome!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In terms of magnification, I'm an 8x man. I find 10x hard to use, and in the 10x binocs I had I found I had to adjust focus too often to compensate for glassing at different ranges.

The exact binocular I use depends on where and what I'm hunting. My go-to glass is usually something like an 8x42 as a compromise between weight and optical performance. If the glass has to be really light, an 8x30 gets the nod, and if I need low light performance an 8x56.

As far as brand is concerned, any of the "big three" (Leica, Swaro and Zeiss) will do - the price decides which one to choose. These days, it is quite common to be able to find demo models (or the like) at unbeatable prices.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use three different binos that I use the most. A 10x42 Kahles for serious looking. A pair of mini Steiners for my kind of deer hunting(they spend most of their time in my pocket, but are always there), and a pair of old, Japanese, unnamed 7x35's for general use. I really like the 7x35 for day in day out use. If I could have only one pair which I did for most of my life, it would be the 7x35's. You can see amazing detail with good glass at that magnification, with less weight and a really useful field of view. It's a shame this size has kind of fallen by the wayside.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most important feature to me in a hunting binocular is one that is rare to find these days: Individual Focusing eyepieces (no center focus wheel). This configuration is easier to focus ("one time focus") for most hunting situations, the focus does not drift as it can when with CF binos, and they are cheaper to build, easier to seal, tougher, and lighter. It's a shame that too few users recognize these advantages and that there is not more demand for the IF models.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thinking about which binoculars people prefer for hunting?
Does your preference change with terrain or do you stick with one particular "go-to" set?
Any other comments?

It depends what you are hunting and where you are hunting it. Also depends on weapon choice; Bow? Rifle? Lots of walking in steep terrain?

I have a 15X set and an 8X set

The 15X get used on mule deer hunts, oryx, and all kinds of open country options. The 8X are great for bow hunts and areas that you don't need a lot of power because of the growth or terrain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
8x32 Swarovski ELs for wearing and Zeiss 10x56 for scouting on quad or truck.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
Zeiss 10x 45 BRF's in open country hunting. 15x56 Minox for birds in the yard. 7x 35 Ancient TASCO Extra wides (these are the only glass that I could have attched and suffer no fatigue ALL DAY) they are the best the T guys ever did. Every time I go to where my wife keeps them I get crap. "Leave my binoculars alone"...10x42 Kahles at my desk with an extra pair of German Minox HG 10x 52's

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Optolyth products...have bought them used in 8x50 and 9x63....as good as the premium names for a whole lot less.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I was really impressed with the 6x30 Yosemite Leupolds but I hunt in the north east and rarly need binos.

Posts: 6438 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leica 10x42 Geovid BRF-Y's

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Leupold 10x42 Gold Rings, no longer made, that are truly excellent albeit a bit heavy! The optcs were equal or better IMO to Zeiss and Swarovski. I like the 10's for open terrain and use lightweight 6's or 8's in the woods and bow hunting.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 7x42 HD Leica Ultravid here in the east Pa area and they work quite well. Not overly powerful but they have unmatched optic quality and have perfect FOV for our mix of woods and smaller fields.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
In my preferred "cost no object" world I really, really like Leica products. Their 8x42 or 33's are my next big glass purchase.

In the meantime I have both the Minox 8.5x42 and 8x33 HG's. Fabulous glass for the money. I really like the relative compactness of the 8x33's but the 8.5's are just a hair sharper and the added weight does help to steady the bins just a bit.

Really, it's a tossup. Either is superb.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recently got a pair of Zeiss 8X45 Range finding binoculars at a bargain from Cameraland NY. I believe they are still avaialable.

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
I asked this question on a UK and other international forum as well. Combined results (so far 160 votes) are as follows:

7x - 11%
8x - 45%
8.5x - 13%
10x - 28%
12x - 1%
Other - 1%

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
My favorites are Swarovski 10x42 EL. For anything but the thickest cover they are excellent and I prefer the 10x to reach out across canyons and open country.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
Anybody tried Leica 8x50 HDs ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer 10X binos and have never cared for anything in a lower range except for extremely dense cover. My current personal binoculars are Minox 10X52 HGs and a pair of Leupold/Windriver 10X (beaters). My employer furnishes me with a pair of Swarovski 10X50 Habicht SL binos. While I like the Minox, they are in NO way the same league as the Swarovski binocs. A good way to compare the quality of binoculars is on a bright, hot day with little to no wind where optical images tend to be very distorted. The Swarovskis are far better than the Minox and the Leup./Windriver Pinnacles. As far as dawn/dusk situations the difference is there also but not as noticable. The nod goes to the Swaros in all situations except for maybe weight.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just one pair? then 10 X 42 Leica ultravid HD.

I sure would like to try out a new set of Swar 10 X 50 El's, $$$$$$

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way back in the early 70's I picked up a pair of Leica 10x40 Trinovids. They were and are superb. Not long ago I picked up a pair of Zeiss 10x40's(42? don't remember) and they are also super. If I am hunting anything one or the other is with me. BTW I have found that carrying them in the pocket of my jacket or cargo pants takes a lot of strain off the neck.
C.G.B.