Find
Notify
Tools

zeiss conquest
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted
I'm considering either a 3-9x40 conquest or a 3.5-10x40 VX-3 for a new rifle. Have the same model Leupold on another rifle and am perfectly happy with it. I don't have any experience with the Zeiss and am looking for whatever info you guys might provide.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few of the Conquests, including the model you consider. I have been very happy with mine, and consider them a best buy in optics these days.

There are no flies on the Leupold, and I have never had one let me down in the field. The Conquests probably have better optics, their diopter compensation is a lot easier to use, and they have better adjustments - although the new Leupolds have become a lot better in this area.

Hard to go wrong with either scope.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
I have quite a few of the Conquests, including the model you consider. I have been very happy with mine, and consider them a best buy in optics these days.

There are no flies on the Leupold, and I have never had one let me down in the field. The Conquests probably have better optics, their diopter compensation is a lot easier to use, and they have better adjustments - although the new Leupolds have become a lot better in this area.

Hard to go wrong with either scope.

- mike

Mike is right. I have a 4.5-14X50 Conquest that I love. But I wouldn't hesitate to get a Leupold either. I have 3.5-10x40mm Leupold that I like but I personally prefer something with a adjustable objective. I also have several VariX-IIIs in 4.5-14X40mm AO. You get spoiled with adjustable objective/focus. The 3.5-10 Leupold is not as clear as the 4.5-14x40mm AO at 150 plus yards. The side focus/AO on the Zeiss is very handy and conveniant should you decide on one. However the two models you mentioned do not have the AO.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like the others above, I have a plethora of Leupolds. Like them extremely well, but originally bought them because I liked the generous eye relief and they were better than the weavers, bushnells, etc. that I had. Bought a used conquest at a gunshow couple of years back (4.5-14), and there is a difference. Have since acquired two of the 3-9X conquests. They are two steps above the vxII Leupolds in clarity and brightness. Worth the price over the leupolds; tough call. In my opinion a NEW conquest is just about out of the budget, while a mint 3.5-10 or 4.5-14X VX or vari xIII off of ebay can be a great bargain. Others on here will sing the merits of the Nikon Monarchs. You should take a gander at them also, but I have no first hand knowledge about them. Good luck on your decision. Also, the cross hair is larger in the conquest than the smaller duplex in the leupold. Hope this helps; jp

Posts: 217 | Location: SW of Dodge City | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no first-hand experience, but I have a friend who is a dealer and who sells and mounts a lot of scopes. He says that while the optics of the Conquest are quite good, its eye placement is very critical compared to a similar Leupold. You may want to explore this issue before settling in one or the other.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Until I retired I always bought Leupolds. With the "new reality" I looked for a less expensive alternative and found Zeiss Conquest scopes. I love'm!

When I found them a 3-9x40 MC was $319.00. Certainly are much more expensive now. Have bought a number of show samples from CameraLandNy.com and have been very pleased with their quality and service!

Am far enough ahead of the curve now that I hope I don't have to buy another anytime soon. If I do, the "new, new reality" of the weakened dollar will make it difficult to find a scope of that quality that I can afford ... thank you MR. President Frowner

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
samplelist.com has a bunch of Leupolds and quite a few Zeiss in stock. I have a couple 50mm Conquests, like them very much.

Posts: 172 | Location: DAPHNE, ALABAMA | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, the cross hair is larger in the conquest than the smaller duplex in the leupold. Hope this helps; jp[/QUOTE]
I can't tell you what reticle I have in my 4.5-14 Conquest but it is much finer/thinner than any of my Leupold Fine Duplexs. You could actually place it on a fly at 200 yards and see the fly, albeit slight, off to the sides - at 14 power.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also switched from Leupold to Conquest, and for me, it was a good move.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll trade you my Leupold Vari-X III 1.75-6 for a similar Conquest but I wouldn't trade my 3x9x40 Conquest for a 3.5 -10 VXIII.

Conquest is the best bang for the buck in rifle scopes today in my opinion, but there are plenty out there that would do the job nicely and might suit you individually. I looked at a 30mm tactical Burris the other day and it was very nice - wouldn't hesitate to put one on a hunting rifle.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the thing that makes the Conquests so appealing compared to the Leupold variables is the fact that mere mortals can turn the power adjustment rings on the Conquests.... Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Can you folks in America confirm conquest is assembled there.

In Europe there are rumours that that are contract made by a Czech company call Meoptha

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you folks in America confirm conquest is assembled there.

In Europe there are rumours that that are contract made by a Czech company call Meoptha

I have heard the same rumors or rather that the conquest line are Meopta scopes with a Zeiss label on them.

As ive had a few Meopta scopes and know their quality i dont consider that a bad thing if its true...

Regards

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All seven (7) of my Zeiss Conquest scopes (and the two that I have given as gifts) are marked "Assembled in USA"

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of Conquests. Love them. My fav. for hunting rifles is the 4.5x14x44. Gooed enough magnification for shooting bitty groups and wide enough for hunting. 44mm fits all my Rems, Savage, and Browning rifles w. standard rings/bases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DM:
I also switched from Leupold to Conquest, and for me, it was a good move.

DM

Same here!

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Don't buy the Zeiss because if you do you will be buying another one to replace the Leupold you still have. So the Zeiss will cost you twice as much. Wink

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Zeiss Conquests are assembled in the USA and are by far the best value in scopes today.

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I have heard that before but nobody know where. In europe we also hear from Zeiss rep that this is a diversion in order not to reveal where it is actually assembled.

I am a keen photographer and like leica they have assembly facilities in Canada Ontario but why the secrecy with Zeiss.

I wonder ..............

Just like nightforce they are manufactured by a subsidiary of Nikon and shipped to Australia to lose the paper trail before shipped to the US and reinvoice to hide the fact of theie original location of manufacturer.

I wonder if this is the case with Zeiss

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of the Conquests, 1 3x9 Diavari, 1 Kahles, 1 Nightforce, and one remaining Leupold which is very old friction adjust. A conquest would be your safe bet these days.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by londonhunter:
I have heard that before but nobody know where. In europe we also hear from Zeiss rep that this is a diversion in order not to reveal where it is actually assembled.

I am a keen photographer and like leica they have assembly facilities in Canada Ontario but why the secrecy with Zeiss.

I wonder ..............

Just like nightforce they are manufactured by a subsidiary of Nikon and shipped to Australia to lose the paper trail before shipped to the US and reinvoice to hide the fact of theie original location of manufacturer.

I wonder if this is the case with Zeiss

Nightforce doesn't hide anything. Not even the fact that there are some parts that are made in China. Their scopes are top notch, very good quality, and great glass and durability.

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Please send an email to the night force importer and ask about the origin of the scope

In England it is called GMK Limited

You will be given the standard answer that they are made entirely in America when everybody know they are assembled in America.

I have also received emails from Nightforce directly stating that they do not disclose their manufacturing capability and details to a third party.

Sorry thats the answer we got as customer so what conclusion do we draw ?

back to the original thread is there a factory in the US for assemble the conquest range ?

I know they are excellent quality I have 02 of them but still does not answer the question

Can anybody advise ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We use the Conquest for all our longer work and really like the parallex adj. feature. We like the retical options and find the mildot very useful in high wind conditions. The eye relief is a real plus when two people may have to share or loan the rifle when airlines misplace a gun case. As to cost that in part is a result of a weak dollar. The conquest will serve you well.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Sir for the third time

I love teh conquest and I have a few myself.

I just wanted somebody to tell us where the factory is in the states that's all.

To date nobody at all can do that hence I am posinng this question in 07 forums around the world.

Soo far Nobody knows hence it re-enforce the roumour in Europe that they are NOT assembled in the states at all.

Please for the last time I have NOTHING against the conquest they are fantastic value and quality.

I am trying to settle an argument in Europe since the current saying is that zeiss got it manufactured by a eastern European manufacturer such as meopta and get it final quality check somewhere in the states.

Thank you to you all

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 5 ziess scopes from 1.8 X 5.5 to 6.5 X 20, I think their the best scope for the money and really like the side AO adjustment. Their really easy on the eye' as well as bright and extremely clear. Zeiss is the way to go for me, I've never been let down by one and I'm impressed every time I use them. Their are a few more coming in my future and the only ones I'll buy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 3-9x40 Conquest, and it has 4" of eye relief, in addition to all that has been said good about its optics above. That and the fixed 4x32 Conquest that also has great glass and 4" of eye relief. I have that one too.
Good stuff.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I believe all the positive comments that folks have to say about the Conquest, but I am a hardcore Leupold fan, not just because of the generous eye relief, quality and warantee, but because of their good looks and clean lines. I don't particularly care for the square lines of the Zeiss. However, if I ever won a Savage in a raffle I think a Conquest would look good on it, or a Leupold with the dent on the bottom. rotflmo

Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Hi all

I have now posted the question in 07 forums in 03 languages and left it for nearly 08 weeks.

NOT one person can confirm the address of zeiss factory in US for conquest manufacturing.

One must draw it own conclusion

Area 51 location or very clever marketing ...

Again I reiterate COnquest are fnatastic scope and fastastic value however I hate manufacturer pulling a fast one on us thats all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi all

I have now posted the question in 07 forums in 03 languages and left it for nearly 08 weeks.

NOT one person can confirm the address of zeiss factory in US for conquest manufacturing.

Again I reiterate COnquest are fnatastic scope and fastastic value however I hate manufacturer pulling a fast one on us thats all.

Or because no one else really cares......

Posts: 108 | Location: West Fargo, ND | Registered: 16 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lodonhunter, Try Carl Zeiss Optical Inc. 13005 N. Kingston Av. Chester Va. 23836. 1-800-441-3005

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Many have googled that address in Europe and the press in europe have also ask Zeiss to confirm their place of manufacturing and the official answer is USA. thats it

Why the secrecy ?

Is there an military implication ?

They are completely seperate from Herstal and zeiss USA is only for retail consumer sector.

That address has already been confirmed by zeiss germany as purely an adminstrative / distribution centre with some warehouse facility not manufacturing or an assembling line.

European guntrader journalist have also been down that road. They cannot get an official asnwer. Hence there are rumour everywhere about the original of conquest scopes.

I thought some member may have a clearer insiget if they live in the US

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from ND:
quote:
Hi all

Or because no one else really cares......

Thanks for the answer

Please let this thread die

I will not chime in anymore

I think people in Europe can draw their own conclusion from the absence of factual answer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Londonhunter, I'm sorry to bring this up again but your post caught my interest so I made calls. Zeiss main office is in Dormwood Newyork USA, I could not get their phone number, they wouldn't give it out, but I was told that zeiss scope are only made in Germany and not assembled in the USA. I ask why their marked as assembled in the USA if their made in Germany and I was told they couldn't give out that information. Guess the mistery lives on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sb42:
Londonhunter, I'm sorry to bring this up again but your post caught my interest so I made calls. Zeiss main office is in Dormwood Newyork USA, I could not get their phone number, they wouldn't give it out, but I was told that zeiss scope are only made in Germany and not assembled in the USA. I ask why their marked as assembled in the USA if their made in Germany and I was told they couldn't give out that information. Guess the mistery lives on.

Interestring info. And here I was thinking that all Conquests were assembled here in US..???

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Well I always thought that the reason the were 1/2 the price of the European Zeiss'es is because the labor rates for assembly were so much cheaper in the US.

So, if they are not assembled in the US, how do you explain the cheaper price? bewildered

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have know idea way their cheaper in the u.s. All I know is what the two operators at zeiss in Chester va. told me, and they couldn't give out any information other their made and assembled in germany. Maybe they don't know what their talking about ???? Would like to know the answer myself.

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
All I can say is that in Europe the official zeiss line is "Conquest are assembled by Zeiss subsidary".

Zeiss would not honour any US conquest wararnty in Europe. Hence if you are a hunter travelling in Europe and during a hunt you need service they will not entertain your request at all.

You might say how often that will happen?

Well I can say that's EXACTLY what happened to my friend I invited to hunt with me last fall . He came for 04 weeks with 02 hunts and a holiday in between. During the first week his rifle lost zero for no reason.

We visited a gunsmith who checked all other possible causes and concluded that its down to the scope. NOT rifle NOT bedding NOT stock NOT mount

We live in southern England and since Zeiss was only 20 miiles away we drive to thir UK HQ in St Albans.

We spoke to a Mr Khan the UK sports optics manager over the phone and we were catagorically told that Conquest's warranty is NOT valid in UK

Since he had 03 more weeks of fun left we contacted Germany and were told to contact UK distributor. i.e. Given the run around so to say

My friend was very embrassed about the sitaution and hassel it gave me. In the end he bought a new Z6 and he finished his trip.

This incident really sparked my quest for an answer as to what the exact origin of conequest scopes.

BTW my friend gave the faulty scope to my gunsmith as a present and did not bother to return it to the states for repair under warranty.

He had another 03 conquest which he subsequently part-exchanged for other brands.

He had been a conquest lover for many years and one bad experience WITHOUT SUPPORT and this is the key word WITHOUT SUPPORT can spolit the party.

I have a few conquest scopes left myself but I would not take them to expensive hunts if it is down to THE shot.

I hope I have not stepped on other conquest users here since I know you guys are really brand loyal however I just wanted to share this experience.

I live in London UK

I use all 05 major brands of riflescopes.

In Europe I can say that Schmidt and Bender will really go out of their way to help.

I have a another friend who was hunting in South Africa and on arrival complained about his precision hunter scope becoming sticky in the zoom ring.

He called Germany from his hotel and expalined his situaion.

Within 48 hours a replacement scope was delivered to his hotel reception with a hand written note appologising asking him to contact the factory at the end of the hunt for a free service repair.

His scope was subsequently repaied with a free nitrogen recharge and a new box with both ways carrier paid for.

How about that for customer service guys ..........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please send an email to the night force importer and ask about the origin of the scope

You will be given the standard answer that they are made entirely in America when everybody know they are assembled in America.

I have also received emails from Nightforce directly stating that they do not disclose their manufacturing capability and details to a third party.

back to the original thread is there a factory in the US for assemble the conquest range ?

I know they are excellent quality I have 02 of them but still does not answer the question

Can anybody advise ?

The bottom of my latest NightForce NSX 3.5x15x50 has a sticker that states MADE IN JAPAN.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The bottom of my latest NightForce NSX 3.5x15x50 has a sticker that states MADE IN JAPAN.

That is correct, they are made entirely in Japan. The same applies to the Lynx scope that is being marketed here in SA. They also make lenses for many other companies that are selling optical instruments and rifle scopes. According to John Barness .... "the Trijicon Accupoint glass is also made by Light Optical Japan same place Nightforce glass is made."

The company in Japan is actually called "Light Optical Works" and you can google is for interest sake, but obviously they do not divulge which brands they make scopes or lenses for. This company is arguably one of the most respected optics company in Japan. we know that they also used to make Bosch and Lomb scopes known for their bright lenses. The optics in Nightforce is also known for being clear and bright. The rumour is that Leupold lenses are also being made by this Japanese company and then exported to the USA, and they do the same for other scope companies as well. I would suspect they would get the customer's specs in (quality of glass and coutings, etc.) and then manufacture to that standard and price accordingly.

Here is their company outline: http://www.light-op.co.jp/LIGH...LISH/company/03.html

In June 2007 ... "Light Optical Works, Ltd was chosen as one of the 300 vital small and medium manufacturing company in Japan by Small and Medium Enterprise Agency, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry. Light Optical Works, Ltd. received award from Minister of Economy Mr. Amari."

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Can anybody advise ?

I have had many conversations with Nightforce (at the Shot Show & on the phone) and never have been told that their scopes are made in the US. It would be difficult to claim that when the scope says made in Japan. It is assembled in the US. I will be seeing them again in May. I have talked with the president of the company and I can say that they are very focused on their customers. I am a very happy NF customer.