Find
Notify
Tools

Tasco Titan
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted
I just aquired a Tasco Titan 1.5x6 30mm Tube with a German #4 Recticle. Does anyone now much about these? Will they hold up to the recoil of a Slug Gun or a DG Rifle such as a .375 H7H or a .416 Mag?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
all i can say to to try it. i've had a bad tasco or 2, and they have a poor rep., but in all truthfulness i've actually had pretty good luck with them. i even had a 8-32 tasco on my first 50 and it held up fine

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
Do a search here fro Tasco Titan. You'll find they are pretty well liked and held in pretty high regard. I've used them for years on med to heavy recoiling rifles. I've used all the models from the 1.25-4 to the 4-12 and never had an issue.

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
OK, Thanks.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Jeffeoso has some personal experience with them. You might pm him.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I have two. On a 375 H&H and a 416 Rigby.

No problems with either, although they are now my backup scopes.

The Titans were made in Japan and an attempt for Tasco to get into the highend market.

N. Garrett has one or more as well. He is the one that turned me on to them a few years ago.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Great scope with a wonderful reticle !!!
I have one exactly like that but with a common plex reticle Frowner

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The key word here is "Japanese-made" - the ones that were still made in Japan. And this puts us back to the late 70's and early 80's. The Titan was the top-of-the-line Tasco scope with much better glass and coatings to render optical clarity and brightness. These scopes were also heavier just like the Euro scopes against which they were intended to compete with. In those days when I compared them, they were as bright as the Bosch & Laumb scopes. They only sold in small quanities here in SA and then they faded when the Lynx scope was introduced by the very same importer. I have not seen the latest crop of Titans now made under the banner of Bushnell. Bushnell has reintroduced the Tasco Titan line, but only two of the ones they currently sell as Titan scopes are really Titans, and these two are not the same as the original made in Japan Titan.

Here is a quote by a USA scope distributor and retailer:

"The very first Titan scopes by Tasco were a real attempt at a Euro quality scope. We actually supplied them with a S&B, Swarovski and Zeiss scope for dissection on an early project named "Euro-Class". The EuroClass was the predecessor to the Titan. Not many original Titans were made on the first run. The prices were so high that consumers would say, "shoot for that kinda money I'll just buy a Leupold, etc. etc.". People could not get over the dreaded Tasco name. The project died but the name lived on being reincarnated as a similar looking scope later and then as an even cheaper model later. The original ones had a special hold over / range reticle that was basically a little dot on the 6 o'clock post. The second lesser quality scopes had this too but I think it was dropped on the third run." ..... Chris Farris SWFA. (Posted: July/22/2004 at 15:27 Optics Talk)

Warrior

Posts: 2273 | Location: South of the Zambezi | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote