Find
Notify
Tools

leupold european
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
i dont know anything about these scopes other then they have a 30mm main tube and i have someone who wants to sell me a euro 4x12x40 with duplex reticle for $200.00 he said he paid over $500 for it years ago. what type of glass did the european scopes have and is this a good deal. i think it is but i also know leupold discontinued this model. what do you guys think , should i grab it.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
They were called European, not because they were made in Europe, but because they were made for the European market. The windage and elevation adjustments are set up at 1 click equals 1 centimeter at 100 meters. They used 30mm tubes before 30mm tubes were mainstream. They are just as good as any higher end Leupold made seven or eight years ago. They are covered by Leupold's lifetime warranty. If the scope is in good condition it should be well worth $200.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's a steal.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
the scope is in new condition i was just wondering whatthe glass can be compared to. vx3,vx2 or vx1 does anyone know. maybe i will give leupold a call.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The glass should be comparable to Leupold sporting scopes made around 2007-2008 and selling for $500 back then. But, as you point out, Leupold can tell you everything you want to know about it.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the scope is in new condition i was just wondering whatthe glass can be compared to. vx3,vx2 or vx1 does anyone know.

I see you've been drinking their Koolade.

Leupold's glass, which is very good and increasingly inexpensive due to modern manufacturing techniques, is essentially the same in any of their lines -- and essentially the same as in any quality scope. The Leupold PR department has come up with plenty of Trumpian-style finest-greatest-incredible-unbelievable superlatives to describe each successive iteration of their scope lines, but the sight picture, while excellent, is unchanged. If you like a 30mm scope tube with a (usually) heavy reticle, then you'll like the "European" line (which wasn't meant to sell in Europe, but to sell to Americans who, for whatever reason, prefer the larger European-style scopes.)

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
They were Vari-X II quality lens coatings, and had a 1" erector.

In other words, they were a mid-grade scope with a great warranty.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
If it was local I would buy it. would look nice on my CZ452 I have coming

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
thanks guys i bought it. for 200 i cant go wrong.