New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold 2800 vs Leica 2400 Rangefinder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was looking at the rangefinding binoculars and especially the Nikons for $1200. But in side by side comparing the Nikons optics to my existing older Kahles 10 x 42, at least to my eyes, the Kahles had better resolution as the viewing objects range increased. At closer distances they are probably close to equal but the Kahkes had better focusing.

So I switched to just adding a new rangefinder to go with the Kahles. I am mostly using the rf for hunting distances but might do some target shooting with it too. Both the Leupold and the Leica will far outrange me. Both the Leupold and the Leica 2400 are the same $500 price.

I did get to see and try the new Leupold 2800. A solid unit that ranges fast and it is easy to see the range reticle and display. It has the angle and true distance in it. It seems good. The only one they had was the display sample though.

While browsing around over at Doug's Cameraland NY I see that Leica offers a new 2400 that is a slight downgrade on their upscale 2700 unit. It seems to offer it all, except the built in ballistics of the 2700, but at a more acceptable price for just field use and shorter distances. There are not any locally to see so I can't gauge the display and updating on it. The dim display was a problem on the one pair of Leica rf binoculars I had seen. I have to assume the 2400s has the excellent Leica glass.

If anybody with either one wants to weigh in please do so.

Doug if you have comments on either or both, we would sure like to have those too.

Thanks.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2400-R has been getting great feedback. Fast reading, small beam divergence. IMO, it's a great optic

Have a great day,
Doug
gr8fuldoug@aol.com
Camera Land
516-217-1000
www.cameralandny.com

Posts: 3699 | Location: Old Bethpage NY | Registered: 08 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a lot of discussion on this huh.

Thanks Doug.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote