Find
Notify
Tools

nikon buckmaster
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted
I just ordered a 4.5-14x Buckmaster for my coyote rifle feeling it was the best scope for the money. I am hopeful some of you guys might agree with me. Please tell me so and make me feel better about my decision. I had a vintage Redfield 6-18x on it for a few years but decided I wanted a little less magnification on the low end.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It's a terrific scope for the $$. I have a couple of the newer BMs but still have a soft spot for the pre-'o5 4.5-14x40 AOs as I feel these were always a sleeper in the optics world.

Enjoy that new scope... thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9403 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking at the same scope with Mil-Dot recticle for a LR deer/antelope rig. The rifle is a stevens 200 in 7mm Rem Mag. I looked through the scope at the store, and compared side by side to Leupold, and Swarovski. The optics were very good with a very slight edge going to the other scopes, but they were certainly not 2 or 4 times better than the Nikon as the price would suggest. Looks like this scope offers the best bang for the buck (pun intended).

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I have a 3x9 Buckmaster on my '06 and find it to be a very good scope for the money. Reasonable eye relief, reasonable eye box and decent optics. Not bad for a couple hundred dollars I paid a few years ago.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put one on my 300WSM Savage and took it to Africa....6 clicks up and 2 down, right back @ zero!!!!!!! 1/2" adjustment-difference in temp., humidity, and elevation could account for that.
OH yeah...in an SKB case.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nikon Buckmaster line of scopes is the best value in optics out there! Clarity and Definition to the edge of viewing field, brightness in low light conditions and optical performance if dialing up and down have made them a favorite of mine for some time! I can have whatever scope I want but Nikon makes quality glass at affordable pricing! I think the current count on GHD varminters or hunting rifles is around 14!! Nikon Monarchs reside on a few also! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
just got the scope on saturday. mounted & boresighted it then went to tune it in sunday morning (my version of church). glass is very clear at all magnification levels. adjustments are tactile and precise. seems like a winner so far.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Own one 4.5-14 and a 6-18 on my .223 and .220 Swift respectively. I don't know if I would use anything else minus finding a smoking deal on an exceptionally better scope. For the money, on a varmint rifle it is hands done the best deal going.

P.S. Just a little side story. I had a Leupold 15-45x60 sequoia spotter that seemed just fine until I bought my first Buckmaster. The first time I went to the range with that BM it put my spotter to shame. I could see my .22 cal holes at 100 yards with the BM but couldn't find them to save my soul with the Leuopy. It was an overcast day but still I think a 45x should have been able to outperform a 14x or 16x. I ended up going out and buying a minox MD62 spotter to replace the under performing Leuopy just so it wouldn't happen again.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote