THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Scope for Mauser M03 with 375 H&H and 8x68s barrels

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for Mauser M03 with 375 H&H and 8x68s barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I finally traded to the rifle I wanted; went from a Wood Mauser M03 with a 243 and 308 barrel to a new M03 Extreme in 375 H&H (standard profile barrel). I kept my existing 8x68s barrel.

I'd like to go with one scope only. Multi-zero would be nice, but not necessary.

Question:
Which scope should I get that will serve both rifles from dangerous game to plainsgame

Choices:
Zeiss Duralyt 2-8x42
Leupold VX-6 1-6x24
Leupold VX-6 2-12x42
Minox ZA 5 1.5-8x32
Other - Specificy

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I would look for a small Zeiss Victory, Swarovski Z6 (?) or other high-quality German/Austrian scope.

You might find an old Pecar 1-4 somewhere and fluke a spare reticle. In theory you could have one reticle set for each barrel, if they come with separate turrets. Whatever you do, it sounds like a complicated business. With a Mauser 66 or db rifle you could always have two separate scopes mounted on the barrels, with much greater expectation of success.

I would not go for either the Zeiss Duralyt or Leupold VX-6 as the ones I've seen have too much 'tunnel vision' - not something you want on a rifle for dangerous game.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
Using one scope for an 8x68 and 375H&H barrel I suggest Swaro Z6 1.7-10x42 or S&B 1-8x24

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ingvar J. Kristjansson:
Using one scope for an 8x68 and 375H&H barrel I suggest Swaro Z6 1.7-10x42 or S&B 1-8x24

Yes, these are the two scopes I was thinking would be the best option, but damn are they expensive.

I'd be better off to go with two scopes for that price. Either Leupold VX-6 in 1-6x24 and 2-12x42 OR Zeiss Duralyt in 1.2-5x32 and 3-15x50.

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by Ingvar J. Kristjansson:

Yes, these are the two scopes I was thinking would be the best option, but damn are they expensive.

I'd be better off to go with two scopes for that price. Either Leupold VX-6 in 1-6x24 and 2-12x42 OR Zeiss Duralyt in 1.2-5x32 and 3-15x50.

I think a pair of Zeiss Duralyt is a great idea ! 1.2-5x32 (for the 375 H&H) and 3-12x50 (for 8x68) and you also save a lot of money Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I never liked the eye relief on the Leupold's; my Zeiss, Burris, and Weaver scopes are more forgiving.

I might start with the Duralyt 2-8. My scope on my current 375 is 1.75-5 and I used it to shoot a Buffalo at 28 yards and a Lechwe at 350 yards; so I don't think I loose much going from 1.75 to 2; and I pick a lot up going from 5 to 8 on the top. For really long range shooting, I'd be using my 7mm Mag or 300 RUM.

And, if I find I need two scopes, I can buy the 1.2-6 and the 3-12; and put the 2-8 on something else.

I do like the idea of German glass on a German rifle better than say Weaver or Leupold. But I really love all of the Weaver scopes I have.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't dismiss Weaver too soon for your purposes. The Weaver Super Slam ['European', at least] 1-5x24 has reticle movement for about $800 and might be just the thing for a .375. You might need a separate scope and mount for the other barrel, though, unless you're willing to have the crosswires walk out of centre.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I really like the Leupold VX-6's. The 2-12 should handle all the range you need with both the 8mm and the 375...congrats on getting what you want.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would much prefer to have 2 scopes for 2 barrels.

The scope is the weakest link in the system. I would also know the amount of adjustment necessary to use either scope for either barrel.

I have several rifles set up with 2 scopes, and a red dot.

On an 8x68 I would want at least 10 power, but not too big an objective, nothing larger that 42mm.

On a 375 H&H I would want at least 6 power, and a low of 2x or less.

I much prefer illuminated reticles. Ones that you can see in bright daylight.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I agree - I like smaller objectives. My favorite scope has a 38mm objective. My largest is a Zeiss with a 44mm and that's about max for me. I think 40-42mm is a good comprise.

I think I'm going to go with two scopes to avoid the adjustment issues and have a backup one.

probably going to sell my 300 RUM and pull the Zeiss 3.5-10x44 off of it for the 8x68 and then get a Duralyt in either the 1.2-5 or 2-8 for the 375

One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
Swaro Z6 TDS in 1.7-10 or 2-12

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had two DG hunts with my M03 African and 375 barrel. Used a rail mounted 1-4 S&B Zenith with Flash dot. Accounted for all of my plains game too. My second barrel and scope never made it out of the case.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
definetly a Swarovski scope !!!

and for what You mentioned: Z6i 1,7-10x42 or 2-12x50
jsut my 2 cents...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Well, I traded out the 8x68 barrel for a 300 Weatherby (and sold my 300 RUM).

I'm down to the following choices:

Leupold VX-6 1-6x42 and 2-12x42

or

Zeiss HD5 2-10x42 and 3-15x42

Or

Leica ER 2.5-10x42 and 3.5-14x42

Cost are the same on the scopes, but the Leupold has a 30mm tube. I have never liked the eye relief tolerance on Leupold's (you have to be just right), but the the VX-6 was a significant improvement IMHO versus other Leupold scopes I have used before.

I have not had a chance to look through the HD5s or Leica's yet.

I ruled the Duralyts out because of the 50mm Objective on the higher power scope for the Weatherby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Zeiss HD5 2-10x42 and 3-15x42

Personally I would definitely choose the Zeiss HD5 pair tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tha dark horse here is the Leica ER 2,5-10x42.
30 mm body, exeptionally good glass, constant 100 mm/4" eye relief, and non magnyfying reticle.
1/4 MOA cliks.

Can be had with the #4 A or my favourite, the #1 reticle.
It has the Aqua Dura coating (much like the Lotutec that Zeiss use).
This is one heck of a quality scope and I´m surprised that it is not more spoken of??

I´m a happy user and this one sits on my 375 Ruger Africa

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1880 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Nice!

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
For my 375 H&H barrel I just ordered a Zeiss Victory Diavari 1.5-6x42mm T* with a #8 reticle. Got the last one from Eurooptic for $1,249.99 - no tax, includes S&H. New, not a demo.

That's a heck of deal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be bringing a Mauser M03 to Africa in June for a 2-Buff hunt. I plan to use my 416 barrel with a Swaro 1x4 with ILL circle-dot reticle.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I'll be bringing a Mauser M03 to Africa in June for a 2-Buff hunt. I plan to use my 416 barrel with a Swaro 1x4 with ILL circle-dot reticle.

Sound s like a brilliant choice! Good Luck Biebs...!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
And ordered a Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42 for the 300 WB barrel.

And bought some Swaro EL 10x42 last night.

All around upgrade.

One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Swaro Z 6 i, 1,7 - 10 x 42.

Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You don't say at what range you expect to shoot. If $$$ are not a concern, get the Swaro.
But, a good 1.5-6 will probably be enough.
Bang for the buck - a Conquest 1.8-5.5x38. Hi end - Schmidt and Bender 1.5-6x42

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote