New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warne vs Talley detachable rings
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any preference between Warne and Talley detachable rings / bases? Specific reasons??

Thanks

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have not tried the Talleys but do have the Warne QDs on my CZ 550 375 H&H. Work well for me. Only reason I got them over the Talley's is I have been using the fixed ring Warnes with no issues so didn't see a reason to change.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I think that it's really just what you prefer for looks, availability, price, etc..

I have had the Talley QDs on my 375 H&H for the last 11 years and four trips to Africa, they work well. I have a set of Warne QDs on my 458 Win Mag for the last few years and they work well also.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12595 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Talleys hands down, better made, nicer looking, better finish, no contest IMO..

I had a bad experience with some of the older Warnes that after tightening you could pull the lever outward and set it at any angle, seemed like a splinded idea..

I found out the hard way that recoil would make the levers jump out of position and settle in another position, in my case it voided lifting the bolt and locked the gun up while a cape buffalo charged us..I was useless, but all turned out well thanks to the PH and another hunter...I taped the levers in the upright position with electrical tape for the remainder of the trip, did some testing when I got home and it happened fairly often..

A stronger spring could possibly remedy that situation, but Warne didn't seem too concerned, so I took all my Warne bases and mounts off my guns and sold them, replaced them all with Talleys and Lynn Brownells old mounting system simulair to Talleys...Has that Warne problem been fixed, I don't know.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote