New
Find
Notify
Tools

lens cleaning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone point me towards a safe, effective lens cleaning proceedure/product for my high end optics? I've several Leupold scopes and some Leica binos that need some upkeep.

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I have started using the Zeiss Lens Cloths. They are pre-moistened, anti-abrasive, ammonia-free (no streaks,) and come individually packaged in a box of 50. I carry them in my fanny pack, hunting duffel, and truck all the time. They are inexpensive. You can order them online or Wal-Mart carries them in their optical departments in the USA.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have started using the Zeiss Lens Cloths. They are pre-moistened, anti-abrasive, ammonia-free (no streaks,) and come individually packaged in a box of 50. I carry them in my fanny pack, hunting duffel, and truck all the time. They are inexpensive. You can order them online or Wal-Mart carries them in their optical departments in the USA.

+1 These are great. Have them in my pack, in my desk drawer, at home, in the car. My wife thinks I am obsessed with them.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
I use a lens pen...bought a kit from Scheels the last time I was south o' the border. The kit includes 2 lens pens, one larger, one smaller, plus it comes with a lens cloth for pre-cleaning the lens of any dirt/debris that will scratch the lenses.

I take the smaller one with me on hunts, the big one stays at home for cleaning before and after hunts.

It all came in a little nylon zip-up kit, about 4" tall x 3" wide by 3/4" thick.

Forgot to mention...it also comes with a small spray bottle of lens solution.

Cost about $20 US.

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't touch anything I own with the chamois end of a lenspen. Talk about a trap for grit and dust!

I use an air bulb/brush combo to blow big chunks off, hit it with the brush end to sweep away any remaining particles, then follow with Zeiss lens clothes in the field or a microfiber cloth and lens solution at home. One trick to using the Zeiss cloths is to make sure they're doubled in half. Otherwise, oils from your fingers can soak through and leave streaks.

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never touch your lenses with anything if you don't have to. Canned air to blow off dust is the best. If their is dirt/mud let it soften up with water and the spray it off with water plus minus detergent or lens cleaner and then use canned air to blow the water off the lens. This has worked for me.

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently cleaned a set of binoculars. I first used a combination of compressed air and a lens pen. After I was 100% certain that I removed every last piece of loose dirt, I polished the lense with "Krystal Clear".

WOW!!! It worked great. I've used it on my prescription glasses for years and figured I'd try it on the binoc's.

You can buy it at www.kcmarketing.net

It's not anything I'd make a habit of using regularly but when the lenses are dirty and they need cleaning, I'd use it again.

Posts: 504 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buster:
I wouldn't touch anything I own with the chamois end of a lenspen. Talk about a trap for grit and dust!

I use an air bulb/brush combo to blow big chunks off, hit it with the brush end to sweep away any remaining particles, then follow with Zeiss lens clothes in the field or a microfiber cloth and lens solution at home. One trick to using the Zeiss cloths is to make sure they're doubled in half. Otherwise, oils from your fingers can soak through and leave streaks.

I agree...it would trap grit and dust, if used improperly....all the grit and dust particles are brushed off with the soft brush end before the chamois end ever touches any of my optics. Reading directions isn't only for broads anymore!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Air cans can BLOW grit into places it never would get to unassisted. They also turn grit into a blasting media.
The blower bulbs are ok but be careful with air cans.

As C K says, reading directions no longer means your a wimp.

A friend who is a TV cameraman always has a lens pen on him. If it's good enough for his $70,000 HD camera lens, I figure it's OK on a $1,000 scope.
Clean the pad regularly, keep it moist, change it now and then and you'll be cool.

When cleaning any lens with whatever, start from the middle and work out so you don't spread the gunk that always lurks under the ring back into the bit you have already cleaned.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wash off the lens with filtered water, to get some of the gritty junk off before I touch the lens.

Then I use Q tips and Alcohol with a rolling motion, so if any grit is picked up by the Q tip, the scratch will be short.

Last week I watched as someone bought a used Leupold at a pawn shop. It was very dirty. Under the dirt were scratches.

What does it all mean?
Don't buy a dirty scope.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a Zeiss lens cleaning kit, comes with everything you need and works great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A drop of soap in a cup of water and a clean cotton cloth. Then use clear water with a clean cloth. Then a dry cloth. Safest way to clean and will out shine most if not all of the products on the shelf. This was recommended to me by an optics company tech. It's the only way I clean my optics, especially my NightForce.

I would not use Zeiss lens cleaners or any other brand. I was told by an optician that they scratch lenses. My old glasses were evidence of that. Some of them don't have as much moisture in them as other packs. Let them dry out and see how rough they are. No comparison to a cotton cloth. An old T shirt works great.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like warm water and a drop of soap idea, and the alchohol and Q-tip one too. Never used either, but will.
I've been using a camera lens bulb/brush to get some air flowing over the lens to brush and blow the crud off. I also have small cans of compressed air I use to blow of dust and junk from lens. Then, I use camera lens solvent and optics paper, like rice paper, to wet the lens and clean it well, working from the center of the lens to the edge.
Pharmaceutical grade acetone works too, in lieu of the camera lens colution I get from camera shops. But, I'm not sure how that works with the lens coatings on today's scopes. I'd have to call the scope maker about using it first.
The main this is to get the heavy dust and crud off the lens before rubbing the lens with a liquid cleaner.
I just cleaned a buddy's scope lenses yesterday as he didn't have any scope covers on the lens for years, and they were all screwed up.
I just can't bring myself to use the lens pens for any lens cleaning. Once you use one, the dirt from the lens you just cleaned stays on the pen, and the next time you use it you just rub the dirt on the pen on the lens you're trying to get clean. There's no way to clean the lens pen after using it one time...let alone for many times.

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
WATER

in any case, first water
and following then (or in the field)

this here:
http://www.titanium-gunworks.d...itanium-gunworks.de/

and in the worst case of grease on the lens: aether...

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
This may not be the best way, but it works well for me:

Blow off the grit, dip q-tips in rubbing alcohol, and clean the surface with light swirls.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote