Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoints??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,

I was thinking of trying an Aimpoint on my Marlin M1985 lever action in .45-70. The intention was to try it out for pigs on driven hunts (i.e. running shots to be expected). The rifle currently has a peep sight, but I found that a bit difficult to get used to - probably becaue I otherwise shoot scoped rifles exclusively.

Is there any difference between an Aimpoint 9000 vs a 7000 in terms of reliability, sight-in, optics, etc etc?? The 9000 series is a tad more expensive... (sadly, price is a consideration...). Any other models to consider??

If weight is not an issue, does it always pay to get the Aimpoint models with the longer tube (designated "L", I believe?) for ease of mounting??

I have seen you can get rails for "scout type" scope mounting for a Marlin 1895. Since an Aimpoint does not have issues with eyerelief, is this a good way to mount the Aimpoint on my lever, or would it be better to mount it over the receiver?? Ideally, it would be nice to be able to leave the receiver sight on the rifle, just in case. But I don't know under what circumstances that will get in the way of shooting with the Aimpoint??

Good Internet based sources for Aimpoints??

I was hoping to be able to mount with a Weaver type ring - specifcally a Burris Signature Zee ring.

Any other experience or considerations you'd like to share??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I belive that the 9000 is a moore battery efficient sight othervise they all are pretty much the same.

They will put a red dot on a target for you.

After some getting used to one can shoot MOA with them and at driven hunts at short ranges they rule for sure.

I have one a as temp solution on my drilling and now I am having second thought on replacing it.

Best of luck now.

Chris