Find
Notify
Tools

Second scope for a 404 Jeffery
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I want to have a second scope for my 404 Jeffery. I already have the Leupold 1.5-5X20mm scope on it, but I would like a 1-6 power with an illuminated reticle as a second scope. Does anyone have any experience with the new Leupold VX6 line, such as the 1-6X24mm? Next question, of the reticle options I like either the German #4 or the post circle dot. Any opinions on the reticle options for this scope? Assume I will be shooting at Cape Buffalo.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink, please see my post in this column from 7/21 ( comparison of vx-r vs vx-6)where I give my impressions of this scope. I'm quite impressed by it as was my PH in Zim recently. It has held up to full house 450 Rigby loads without a hiccup. well worth the money IMHO

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
4-5-0,

Thanks. It sounds like you like it.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
1-6x24? Swarovski make some of them and might be worth the expense on a comparatively heavy kicker like the .404.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the VXR on a .458, shot elephant and CB in March. I like it, but then I discovered the VX6 w same reticle (G#4) and illumination but more power, better FOV, good ER, etc.,so I now have put a VX6 on a .416 and another is going on my .404 (replacing a 1.5x5)and I am even considering replacing a few more. The VX6 also has a longer tube so accomadates different mounting situations. The VX6 appears to me to be the exact scope I have wanting Leupold to build. I have not hunted with it, but I'm sure it is typical Leupold tuff.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the new Zeiss 2x8 Conquest Duralyte. It is an illuminated 30MM tube for under a thousand bucks. Doug at Camera Land has demos for $750.00. I am really impressed by it!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote