New
Find
Notify
Tools

focusing issue with Balvar 2.5-10x
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While reaquainting myself with my 80's vintage .300 Weatherby mounted with a B&L Balvar 2.5-10x scope, I noticed I couldn't focus on the crosshairs and the field of view at the same time, at all power settings. In the last few years I have become dependent on 1.25x reading glasses. I had always thought that was one of the prime reasons the more "seasoned" of us opted for scopes even when iron sights would do. I do not seem to have this issue with other scopes. I thought there might be some focus adjustment feature on the Balvar, but am not seeing it on the scope, nor finding any information on a B&L or Bushnell web-site. Wearing my reading glasses resolves the issue. However, I am not planning on being dependent on reading glasses for making a shot on an upcoming hunt. So my questions are these:

1) Is there some way to focus the Balvar?
2) Is this just an aspect of the design of that particular scope and therefore its time to get another scope?
3) Is this a common occurance and inevitable with increasing age? (For some reason I just haven't noticed it yet on other rifles.)
4) Why might I not noticed this on other scopes?

At close range I could live with this annoying situation, but the rational of the .300 is the potential to take a longer shot, so the scope and my vision have got to be on the "same page."

Any insights and sharing of experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lou M

Posts: 106 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is the same as my late 80's 2.5X10 Balvar the focus ring is the rear eyepiece. Small lock ring just in front of the eyepiece. Loosen and turn away then lock back down.

HTH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look through your scope at a plain white wall or a clear sky and focus the rear lens so the cross wire is sharp. If the distant field is then out of focus the scope needs repair.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote