Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes for longer ranges...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
I may be engaging on a hunt next year that could require shots up to 700 yards. Much that I prefer to try for shots under 300...and even closer is preferred that just might not be an option. This is going to be a whole new game for me...

I'm comfortable with shots up to 500 yards on steel using a Leupold FX3 6x with the LR duplex. It just happens that the dots are perfectly aligned with my bullet drop. From a bench rest or prone I can deliver 10 out of 10 onto. 10" gong at 500 yards.

Beyond that I'd need a scope with a turret. And a bit more power. I'm not sure if this is a 10x or 15x type proposition.

The rifle is my Remington AWR in 7mm SAUM. It's proven to be superbly accurate with several loads delivering sub 1.5" groups at 200 yards. 140 AB's at 3050 are the likely load. Alternatives include 160 ABs at 2900 or 140/150 ETips at 2800-2900. Given expected ranges the ABs get the early nod...

Game targeted is Ibex...and maybe a Marco Polo...

I have 16-20 months to prepare.

My first thought is a Leica 3.5-14x44 with a custom drop turret. I'm not sure what reticle...I like a #4 but at those distances I'm not sure the reticle is fine enough.

Suggestions and experience welcome here guys.

(Ps: my mountain goat hunt where I prepared out to 500 yards ended up as a 118 yard chip shot...I never regretted the practice though!)

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I could only strongly recommend the Swaro Z6i 2,5-15x44 due to it´s much superior brilliant optics and less Problems!

I am using mine now for a couple of years and have added a true meassured personal PBC:

http://titanium-gunworks.de/sw...-ballistik-turm.html

But to be honest: for 700 Yards, I would choose the Z6i 5-30x50 or at least the Z6 3-18x50 instead...

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Compensating for bullet drop is the easy part, and there are several fairly dependable ways to do it. You need only enough magnification, however much that might be, to clearly see your target.

But if you'll study a good ballistics table which includes basic figures for a 10 mph cross wind, you'll quickly see that wind -- always present, almost impossible to accurately measure in terms of velocity and vector, and never constant -- makes shooting at an animal 700 yards away a fool's errand. Revise your parameters and use the scope you already have and trust for shots limited to its ballistic compensation system of about 500 yards.

But I've seen those guys on TV shoot and never miss at 700 yards! Yes, and when you own the camera you can show only the shots you want to show.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote