New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minox roof vs. porro prism bincoulars
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After recently having my 1999 model Leica Trinavids give up the ghost, I was given a good deal by Leica on any sport optic. I got the Ultravid HD's for $1300. They are incredible glasses, but to be honest i can't tell the difference between them and the older Trinavids. A test would require me to test them side by side, which is impossible now.

I want to get a cheap pair of binoculars to keep in my shop or keep in my truck. I am currently leaning towards Minox 10 powers. I have always read that porro prism binoculars are easier to make align correctly, so for a company's binoculars of the same size and power, their roof prisms would have to cost more to be of equal optical quality to their porro prisms of the same size and power.

When looking at the Minoxes from cameralandny, i see the 10x40's are priced the same. So based on everything I have read, the porros should be better, optically speaking.

is this correct?

Has anyone compared these binoculars in a side by side test?

Any experiences would be appreciated

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
No opportunity to test side by side BUT...I have the porros and couldn't be happier. Perfect alignment and zero distortion at the edges. They're not perfect but for what I paid, they are fantastic (they were an open box special).

The other thing about Minox is that when I dropped and bent them a month later, Minox accepted them for warranty repair. No charge (even for return shipping) at all for the repair.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, the Minox's look even better to me after reading your post about their repair policy. Thank you very much for you experiences with them!

I was going to get an open box special, but the other day I went to cameralandny to get orices I see there are currently not any open box specials on the 10x porros. I am going to wait until they have some and then buy them as soon as i see open box specials in stock.

Sounds like your use and opinion of the Minox's is just what I have in mind. I have by big Leicas for serious stuff, pocket Leicas when size and weight are at a premium, and just need soem "good" not "great" binoculars for my shop and truck. My shop window over looks the field i call my "yard" and I ferquently scan it for any wildlife that happens to be out there at the time. I am having a hard time keeping great binoculars in a machine shop due to so many things that could ruin them

thanks again for your great post!

skunk out

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to call Doug and see what he has available. I just got a pair of the Minox BF compact 10x25's for the glove compartment / Archery / Stadium and couldn't be happier. That same roof prism series BF in 10x42 is really sharp. I have freinds who bought 2 pairs in the last month on special.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the roof prism HG and side by side test with Ziess and Swaroski they were clearer than the Ziess' and as crisp and clear as the Swaro. The owners of the other two binos were the ones that came to that conclusion. That said I would assume the porros would be great for what you want.
The comparison was done on an overcast day in the country looking down a high line right of way. We were comparing how well we could make out stamped metal plates with writing on them at 300, 600 and 900 yards. We were also looking at petals on sunflowers to see which glass gave you the most detail.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote