New
Find
Notify
Tools

Burris optics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a Euro Diamond a while back. It has made the rounds on several hard recoilers. A Ruger #1 in 458 Lott really beat it up. I sent it in and they fixed most of the problems. I sold the Lott and bought the 500 AR. Part of the scope's problem were the Leopold CZ rings. They failed! Leopold replaced the rings but show no interest in the damage they did. I gave the new rings away! Then sent the scope back to Burris. I ask "If it can't be fixed or the cost is too high just keep it for parts". A Burris person called and ask what I had it on. He said they would replace it with something as good or better. His words "it might be a little while as the scope he would replace it with was on back order." Who makes Burris scopes that has them on back order? If I remembered the name of the scope right it is not a DG type scope! Now as the weeks turn into months, they emailed back, "we told you it would be awhile". They named their warranty correctly. It might take forever but they will warranty it. I think I will buy another Meopro!

Posts: 719 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hand carried a handgun scope that was covered under Burris' lifetime warranty into their repair facility in Greeley, Co and had it delivered back in less than two weeks. That was a few years ago but their repair center seemed on the ball then. I have had a Burris Blackdiamond scope for 12-15 yrs, and granted it was never mounted on anything thumpier than a 264Win, that has never failed. It now sits on my freshly barreled 22/250Rem and it is just as clear as the day I bought it.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Live Oak:
A Ruger #1 in 458 Lott really beat it up. I sent it in and they fixed most of the problems.

Can you tell us what some of those problems were? I have a special interest in these matters but find many people tend to shut up about them as long as they get a new or fixed scope back.

Posts: 5010 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The LED was knocked off center and dust (powdered glass?) showed up on the inside of the eye piece, by the Lott. They corrected that but the on/off switch never did work right after the first round on a 375. The 500 AR made more dust, plus the elevation adjustment started jumping especially after an adjustment. Two clicks would move 4" or more or less by a bore sighter. Finally the battery cover came off one night while shooting. Never did find the battery or the rubber center. One side or the other was stripped. The back Leupold ring smashed and bent digging gouges in the scope. It was a 1.5X6 sometime after a shot it would seem out of focus until I would work the zoom. I wondered if recoil was actually bending the scope because of the failed back ring. I have two other Burris scopes that are great.
Oh the Lott broke a Barska and two Hawkes and hurt the Burris!

Posts: 719 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the tube got wrecked and caused the rest of the failings. I always use steel rings when mounting a scope, as I don't trust lesser strength metals.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1190 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupolds were steel but apparently not tempered right. They appeared to move. Put Warne's on next but it was too late for the scope. I have a EGW pic rail on it now. opens up possibilities.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Live Oak:
The 500 AR made more dust, plus the elevation adjustment started jumping especially after an adjustment. Two clicks would move 4" or more or less by a bore sighter.

That's the bit that interests me most. As you may recall, I have suspicions about the modern concept of articulating the erector set just to centre the reticle.

Sorry to hear about the other stuff, too, though it is also grist for my mill. I have minimum respect for illumination, for a number of reasons ranging from tech. reliability to battery life to where we draw the line in fair chase.

Like Luckyducker, I wonder about alloy tubes in the American brands, as well. The Germans and Austrians have used dural for generations but usually bulk up the tube diameter by one-to-four millimetres and use a rail for mounting. This not only saves the scope from ring damage but helps to stiffen the tube against bending.

Posts: 5010 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those big bores are hard on all scopes and mounts..The only scope I trust for heavy recoil if your going to shoot a lot is the Leupold 2X compact, it has the adjustment directly under the caps and it works...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty hard to imagine that any manufacturer runs their mfg year-round for every product they make. Have had great service from Burris including replacement of a scratched ocular lens. Very good customer service, better than Leupold turn-around on standard scopes.

I had a set of Mk4 steel rings fail. They wouldn't hold the mark 4 6x target dot scope without slipping. It was a .308win varmint rifle, not a big banger. Replaced with Badger Ord standard rings and it all came together.

Premier Reticles refunded on the rings. They were out of BO rings so had to go elsewhere.

None of these gun gear manufacturers will admit fault with their items. Most forums will pull threads or censor comments if you discuss factually the failures you experience.

There are some real bums out there.
Burris ain't one of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know why you guys put those big fragile scopes on rifles meant for DG, Many scopes, especially foreign scopes have a graphite looking finish that won't hold on a big bore. Some scopes are just too heavy to hold up to a big bore..

A light rifle in a big bore with a heavy scope is a recipe for disaster in the first place..

The original Ruger Rings the strongest mounting system in the world today.

If I intend to hunt DG with a 458 LOtt or larger caliber rifle it will have a small 2X Leupold compact, the only scope that will take that kind of a beating. most, and Ive tried most on a Lott and a 505 Gibbs IMP. will check out before 250 rounds and some within 25 rounds..

In all my testing from the 458 Lott and the 505, I decided to just stick with irons and use a shallow v or a peep sight with a big ole ghost ring. I realized I would not be shooting DG beyond 200 yards and seldom more than 50 or a 100 yds, a long time ago.and that's proven to be the case, and Ive never had to deal with staring at a broken scope with a buff in my lap, but Ive observed such expression and in some cases it was downright comical.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
+1 Ray. I'm sending you a PM to discuss these matters further.