THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OPTICS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Optics    Ideas on Leupold VX3 6.5x20 or MK4 LR/T 6.5x20 TMR Illum

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas on Leupold VX3 6.5x20 or MK4 LR/T 6.5x20 TMR Illum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking at these two Leupold 30mm scopes for a bolt action 223 to use at 300-500 yards. Mostly it will be shot with my buddies at targets, a few coyotes and crows, and some informal club type shooting matches. And just plinking too.

The Leupold VX3 6.5 x 20 has the fine duplex style reticle and the target knobs and is about $900 new. It has the 50mm objective and side focus.

The Leupold Mark 4 LR/T has the Illumnated reticle and the TMR or Tactical Milling Reticle which is of course based of off mils, but has at least to me, a better and thinner evenly spaced hash marks. It has a 50mm objective and side focus with the M1 style knobs and sells for $1500 new. Both are 30mm tubes.

I would expect to dial in the shots when I can.

So some of my question is whether and how the VX3 compares to the MK4 in repeatablity of adjustments after you have spun the dials a few times?

I dont like too much clutter in the scope and the TMR is about all I could want to use. It does give you some options though for just holding over and/or holding off on windage and still having a reference that the duplex does not have. For when you are shooting coyotes or crows or something and you may not have the time to dial in the clicks.

Do any of you use the TMR for this type of shooting and do you find the view cluttered?

I did not think I liked the Illuminated reticle, but I do in certain situations now that I have tried a couple. Any issues with this for any of you?

I would assume the MK 4 has been pretty well sorted out and its dials work better, but I have no experience with either to know.

I assume I could go to the 8.5 x 25 in either as well. I would prefer to stay with the Leupold for this type scope versus NightForce (even more costs) or Swarovski . I really like Swaro but not for this as it would really be more costs, and they do not have the adjustment range of the Leupolds.

Anybody using these Leupolds for this type of shooting?

I put this over in the Target Forum but thought it might be better here in Otpics.

Thank you for your inputs.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mark 4 is an awesome scope IMHO. I have them on 270 and 300 Weatherbys and have had zero issues with repeatability or holding zero for better than 3 years. I have not used either for yotes running with a constant change in range, but for dialing in known distance they are very reliable, and repeatable. With practice the hashes on TMR or Mil-Dot will work fine as aim points, but they can be hard to keep straight in a rush. I like the LR and Boone and Crockett though and on running targets the B&C also provides a lead refrence with the windage marks. The Varmint Hunters seems a little busy, but I think I may try one this year for p-dogs just to see. Too many cool options, not enough money or time.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks Quintus - I was beginning to believe that I was only one with these LOL. Yes I looked at the B&C reticle and they even have it in Illum too. But for a combo rifle that will see target and varmint I think the TMR will be the way to go for me. It sure appears from reading on some of the sites that the adjustments are very good and that was a question for me.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote