Find
Notify
Tools

BROKE--Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14 x40 Long Range
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted
While firing the 300RUM today the windage turret and adjusting mechanism fell off or should I say out!

(pictures later)

Anyone else ever heard of this??

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's not good at all... Eeker

But I am certain Leupold will make it right.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I've not seen one do that either. Make sure you get some good pictures to keep for bragging rights before you send it back to Leupold. They will either fix it or send you a new scope. I wouldn't worry about it, they'll take good care of you.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it vibrated loose.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Looks like it vibrated loose.
Butch

Probably,

The last 2 1/2 threads are sheared though.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Would appear that upon assembly, either cross threaded and/or did not apply sealant to the threads upon assembly?? Mark4 is one of their tougher scopes and as stated above, Leupold will make it right by you. The old saying about Leupold is that there is no such thing as a "used Leupold" due to their warranty service policies.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I had the same exact thing happen on a Springfield Armory the day before my friend was going to take the rifle to texas and hunt. Mine was on a .308 though.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold Mark 4, 6.5 - 22x 50mm. The staff at the shop was going to "zero" it for me with the collimeter. Twisted the elevation knob off. (Because he's clueless and forced it.)

I don't need to tell you the knobs come off and the gas gets out of the tube, eh?

Leupold serviced it and double checked it. It's perfect.

Leupold will fix yours. Leupold is best. Check out Saed's rifle collection pages for optic.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Whats funny about this to me is I have had the scope a couple of years,no rough treatment, never hunted, only used at the bench.

Before placing it on the 300RUM which was to be its final home---I had taken it off a .375 H&H had shot it on there to hlep in load development (old eyes) and initially got it in an AR10-T package deal.

Up till now the scope had done quite well,--- wonder if the recoil of the H&H and RUM cumulatively "opened-up" an assembly defect or if it is materials (metal) fatigue issue.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Ladd,
Gas out of the tube? How do you figure that? Probably didn't have any in it. They are purged with gas when assembled. If any were in there it leaked out over time.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote