New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupolds from China
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please excuse if this is old news but I just heard of it. Here is the link (cut and paste):

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/resources/counterfeit-warning/

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everybody's products, including tennis shoes, Rolex watches, and even women's handbags are counterfeitted in China.

That's not such big news, and everybody knows to watch for it. What is big news that Leupold isn't putting out press releases on is that they have dropped their Japanese manufacturer for some of their binocular lines and are now importing these from CHINA.

I looked at two Leupold binoculars, both labeled "Olympic 8x42 CF" with the same model number. One was stamped "Made in Japan" and the other was stamped (if your eyes are good enough to see it) "China". The Japanese binocular was clearly superior to the Chinese, but they were priced and bar coded the same in the store's inventory.

Leupold doesn't have any problem selling trash from China, they just want it to be THEIR trash, not somebody else's.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek wrote:
quote:
Leupold doesn't have any problem selling trash from China, they just want it to be THEIR trash, not somebody else's.

AMEN to that!

While I am quick to admit that Leupold scopes are good, solid products, I am amazed by the continuous baying of some posters who stick out their chest and echo the "made in the USA" routine -- and use THAT as the basis for their selection or recommendation of a Leupold product any time someone asks for comparisons/opinions. Thank goodness that type of behavior it is not as prevalent on this board as it is on places like Graybeard Outdoors, etc., where some of the good ol' boy mentality comes (moon)shining through. stir

Leupold scopes can hold their own in many arenas and don't need this type of backing.

But it clearly shows that some have their head in the sand as Leupold's glass supply has been coming from Asia for many years now. It also effectively dilutes any pro-Leupold arguments/opinions that they may follow with.

Lastly, if truth in advertising was actually enforced, Leupold would have to lablel their scopes as "Assembled in the USA" instead of "Made in the USA."

Wonder where their next line of binocs will be coming from???

sofa

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct there is nothing wrong with Asian made glass or the assemblage of components there . Provided the Chinese have NO HAND in it !. It's not that they're not capable just underhanded and over zealous to PROVIDE the Black Market !. With NO QUALITY CONTROL or Sanctions of penalties in place !!.

Original post in Choosing Optics Carefully .
archer
My greatest concern is purchasing optics which one knows to be of quality manufacture ONLY to end up with a BOGUS knock off sold in it's place .
Discount Sales houses aren't always reassuring in their purchasing Dept. .! Just be careful .

Reminds me several years back about " Wally World " purchasing clothing that had labels sewn in Made in China , which were being made in India by 8-? year old Kids !. It's one thing to purchase something cheap , it's an entirely other to be sold something cheap when you've paid for an Expensive something !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had just read the new leupolds say assembled in USA now. instead of made in the USA. The writer said there were to many imported parts in the new Leupolds to say made in the US.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good information. Makes me think twice when choosing new optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So long as your purchasing them from a reputable source I think it makes little to no difference any more . They will still produce QUALITY OPTICS !. I own some Leupolds Zeiss IOR Nikon Weaver Simmons . My first choice is Zeiss but now with the NEW Nikon's It's a real toss up !.

A year ago hands down Leupold ahead of Nikon , Now how ever Quality Optic clarity and no longer MADE in the USA , I'm looking at Prices !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote