Find
Notify
Tools

The best fixed 4x scope?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys,
I'm wanting to scope a newly purchased Mod70 Winchester 300 magnum. I've considered a variable like Leupolds 2.5-8 VX3 but keep coming back to the simplicity of a fixed 4x32.
So who makes the best fixed 4x power scope.
I'm thinking Schmidt & benders 4x36, Swarovski don't make one anyone I don't think. Price really isn't an issue, bright, tough and durable are. Any suggestions?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Schmidt and Bender is tops. Zeiss conquest is good. Leupy ain't bad. Dn't know about others.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've switched over from variables to fixed power scopes on all of my big game rifles. Now, I have Leupold 4x and 6x scopes on them, but, I've been looking into getting some better fixed powers to upgrade. Unfortunately, there are few high end fixed power scopes being made today. Zeiss still makes a 6x, but other than their Conquest 4x, I can't seem to find any others like Swaro and S&B, in current production.

I have been policing up any old fixed Leupold 3x scopes I can find, plus I just bought a fixed 3x Bushnell Scopechief from a fellow AR member here a couple of weeks ago. I've gotten away from variables as I think they are not required for my kind of hunting. I found that I'd set a variable at some intermediate power and leave it there; which begs the question, why the need for a variable at all. Besides, a fixed power has less moving parts, looks better on a rifle, and less prone to fail.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Nickel makes a 4x36 that looks pretty nice.

Nickel Supra 4x36

Gotta order them factory direct from Germany, 503 Euros minus the 19% VAT which brings it down to 407 Euros which converts to $617 U.S.

Kahles was making a very nice 4x too, but stopped producing them.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
The market has moved away from the fixed power scope because not enough folks want to buy them. S&B still has a couple of models, and Zeiss has only their Classic 6X which has wonderful glass. Leupold probably makes the best scope for you: good technology; excellent reliability; light weight and small size.

I had a Swaro fixed 4X and sold it because it was needlessly heavy and bulky.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a S&B 4x36mm and a cheaper Meopta 4x32mm..After using both, I actually prefer the Meopta...A good scope, reasonable price and tough as old boots..

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Here's another 4x36 from a manufacturer I had no idea made riflescopes.

Karl Kaps Optik

They also make optics and internal video equipment for gynocology and proctology. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The Schmidt&Bender 4x36 were great but I don't think they are available any more. (I use one with the steel tube).
Khales and Nickel are good alternatives.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I like Leupold 4 powers. IMO you reach or pass the point of diminishing return when buying one of the more expensive scopes. They may be a bit better in some regards, but the price differential is not proportionate to the perceived increase in quality. I believe in buying good glass, however, although I can afford them, I can't justify the additional cost of the so called top end scopes. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i think the leupold 4x is the best all round 4x scope avaiable, when one takes in the price, warranty passable optices and WEIGHT!!
a real draw back with the S&B is the weight
Daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr Lou
That about sums up my opinion on scopes. A Leupold VX1 has everything I need at a fraction of the top end scopes. Paying 3 or 4 times as much for a barely noticeable increment in utility doesn't make any sense to me.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Mike, I have many Vari XIII or VXIII and three VXI scopes: 1-4 shotgun with heavy plex and 2 2-7 standard duplex. They're equal to or better than the older Vari XII. In my opnion they're one of the best values in the scope world. For me top end is VXIII or Conquest. Moreover, I think Leupold has the sleekest looking scopes. More is not always better. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Nikon Monarch 4X. They are a little longer than many. They fit well on long actions. Leupold shortened theirs a few years ago and need extended or bridge bases for some long actions.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Leupold best. Nice long eye relief, large eye box, fully multicoated optics, light weight, and a locking ocular. I wear a pack and don't want to reach for my rifle in a huryy only to find that my scope is out of focus. E

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nikon Monarch will do you fine and much brighter than the Leuy.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ahab:
Nikon Monarch will do you fine and much brighter than the Leuy.

+1 thumb

If you want to get silly with it, I think you could order a US Optics piece Roll Eyes

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oheremicus:
I like the Leupold best. Nice long eye relief, large eye box, fully multicoated optics, light weight, and a locking ocular. I wear a pack and don't want to reach for my rifle in a huryy only to find that my scope is out of focus. E

Oh Christ,here we go again!

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best 4x is the Kahles 4x36 and it also has the biggest FOV of them all.

Posts: 47 | Location: Norway | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Khales aka helia, Swarowski and Ziess all and any of those brands,

older models steeltubed are the best 4x scopes ever made.

If you force me to pick one modell it will be a Ziess Zieliver 4x36 with a nr 11 reticle.

/Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the 4x steel Weaver being the best ever made but I SURE like my K4-1 alot! It belonged to a late friend of mine so it's a favorite in it's own right. Sent it to El Paso for a tune up and it's ready to go.
I know this post is about the best 4x scope but thought I'd mention the discontinued 4.75x40 Weaver GS. I bought two this past Sept. and luckily their both Blount models. Their very clear scopes and are REALLY nice under low light conditions. Hope I don't need to use the Meade warrenty as I haven't heard much good talk about it. Any experiences with scope or warrenty?

til later,
EARL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oheremicus:

Which 4x Leupold has fully multi-coated optics??? Out of focus??? WTF does that mean???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the selection of good, fixed magnification telescopic sights is getting smaller.

Nickel / Gerhardt Optik - 4x36.

Really good. I have one. Currently N0. 2 scope on my .338-06. No problems.

Schmidt & Bender - 4x36.

Really good, tough, optics are +/- the much newer Nickel. I have one. It used to live on my first big game rifle, a Steyr Mannclicher Model M .270. No problems. I still have the scope BTW. Unfortunately, S&B no longer majke / list this model.

Kahles 4x36. I do not have / have not owned this model. But I do have one of their new 6x42 Helia and the optics are very good. Again, unfortunately, the 4x model has been dropped by the manufacturer.

Karl Kaps.

No experience with the makers. However, they come from the same region / area of Germany - Wetzlar as S&B. Wetzlar is the traditional optical glass manufacturing centre of Germany. I have read Kaps supplies scopes to the military and police, so they should be quite good....

Pecar, Berlin.

Unfortunately, the company is longer with us - could not afford to renew the lease on the factory. I rememeber these scopes well, from when I first became interested in shooting. The 4x40 was a good scope. The scopes were heavy, tough as old boots. None the less, they were the sniper 'scope of choice by UK police forces for many years (in 4-10x 45 form).

Nikon Monarch 4x40

The scope is a good one w.r.t. optics and click / image moving repeatability. The camera manufacturer obviously knows a thing or two. They also have good eye relief.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
My 4x S&B steel tubed scope.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The S&B is by far my favorite.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ruger270
posted Hide Post
I realize that the scopes that I will be able to afford do not fall into the same class as the Kahles, Swarovski, S&B, etc. But what about an inexpensive 4x with generous (4 or greater inches) of eye relief, less than $300 and still easily found or in production? Yes that does limit the choices, and the Zeiss Conquest is out of the question, but what about a Sightron, Burris, or other make that would fit the bill?

Posts: 171 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know which webs you visit but for ALOT less than $300 you can pick up a 4x Leupold on the classifieds. Also watch fo steel tubed K4 Weavers for usually under $100. Unless your wanting a new scope.
The Leupold will be under warrenty no matter how old and the Weaver can be rebuilt in El Paso,TX.for next to nothing. Hope this helps ya!

til later

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

Terry

Beautiful rifle!!!!!!!

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger270:
I realize that the scopes that I will be able to afford do not fall into the same class as the Kahles, Swarovski, S&B, etc. But what about an inexpensive 4x with generous (4 or greater inches) of eye relief, less than $300 and still easily found or in production? Yes that does limit the choices, and the Zeiss Conquest is out of the question, but what about a Sightron, Burris, or other make that would fit the bill?

With that said, go for a second hand Leupold 4x.
It will be inexpensive, and still covered by the warranty. I have several, occasionally they go flooey, but the factory always fixes them for free.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sfwa.com has a close-out on Nikon Monarch UCC
4X40mm matte black nikoplex for $99(discontinued model).This scope orginally listed for $329. I bought four, because for brush hunting 4X is all you need. Simple and light. Not the best, but a good value.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

Terry

Beautiful rifle!!!!!!!

Don

Even prettier rings!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the type of hunting you do can be done with a 4x fixed scope I MUST question choosing a 300mag...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ruger270
posted Hide Post
I would disagree. You can easily hunt deer/elk/moose sized animals out to 300 or 400 yards with a fixed 4x scope. The reticle subtension of a standard plex reticle would be around 1.5" at 300 yards and 2" at 400 yards. Considering that in hunting/field conditions shooting MOA can be difficult, I would say that a 4x would more than suffice.

Jesse

Posts: 171 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote